Help! Gas Smell In Car! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hard Body is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Hard Body
Help! Gas Smell In Car!

this has been going on for a few weeks! it only does it when i have the heat on and at a stop light. anyone know what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

runner4life is an unknown
Here is your answer...

I just asked a suby tech today at my oil change. He said that in rexes and stis the cold engine cycle sends extra gas into your injectors. The over load means burn off and that why you smell gas. I have the same problem. He did also tell me to have it checked out because underneath the manifold there is a fuel line that sometimes leaks in very cold temps. Or a third possibility is that when you shut you car down for the night, some gas may still be in your injectors. Over time this leaks out into the engine, then on start up you end up with excess gas again. To test this, you could take off your fuel rail and place a piece of paper next to your injectors to test for a leak. Good luck, I was just told to deal with it.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Any modifications to the fuel system or the exhaust system?

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hard Body is an unknown
just a spt catback and k&n stock filter. i dunno if that has anything to do with it but i did reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for about an hour when i put both the exhaust and filter on the car
post #5 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
I to am experiencing a very potent fuel smell inside my car. I only smell it on realy cold days after I have started my car so it can warm up before the drive to work. I think the smell is too potent to just be exces fues in the motor. I think I may have a leak somewhere but not to sure yet.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Body View Post
just a spt catback and k&n stock filter. i dunno if that has anything to do with it but i did reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for about an hour when i put both the exhaust and filter on the car
Not sure, you might want to have the dealer check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
I to am experiencing a very potent fuel smell inside my car. I only smell it on realy cold days after I have started my car so it can warm up before the drive to work. I think the smell is too potent to just be exces fues in the motor. I think I may have a leak somewhere but not to sure yet.
The bugeyes had an issue with fuel leaking. Again, take it in to a Subaru dealer and have it looked at by them.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

runner4life is an unknown
The excess fuel is just from the cold start cycle. Any Gas smell in the summer? then you probably have a more substantial leak. I't no biggy and it doesn't really effect anything, unless you go into a coma from get high while driving. I hope it goes away soon. Any updates please let us know.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
Ive had this smell before and it ended up being the line under the manifold. I fixed the line smell went away for the longest time. Just recently when its cold and I warm up the car it smells bad. It looks to me that those lines under the manifold seep just a little bit and causes the smell. I sat and watched the spot for 20 minutes and nothing. I bet the hose clamps are loose thats why rubber hose and hoseclamps aren't suppose to be fuel injection. But check out the fuel lines under manifold and behind the a/c compressor
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hard Body is an unknown
actually what ive noticed is it does it a lot when i have more than half a talk, anything under it doesnt do it
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hard Body is an unknown
yo i just wanted to give you guy an update on my little problem. i called SOA and ask if there was any TSB for the problem. guy said just for the 02s. i told him i had the problem. he said take it to a dealer and see what they say. so im taking it in the morning. ill keep you guys updated

2/1........so i got the car back last week from the dealer. they tightened up all of the lines and put some glue on the clamps to prevent them from coming lose again. but the smell is still there. so its going back tp the dealer tomorrow......

Last edited by Hard Body; 02-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.