Subaru WRX Forum banner

HELP!! Engine Noise

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bullitt543 
#1 ·
I've been trying to troubleshoot a weird sound coming from the engine. It happens whether I'm moving or parked. The best way to describe it is like a cat getting run over inside the engine (yes I looked for cats or any other animal). It happens in idle or if I let off the throttle, this sound appears.

I thought it was the dreaded turbo death whine, but I'm hitting my target boost just fine. Then I checked around by ear, I changed the a/c idler pulley, it fixed the problem of the squealing pulley but the cat getting dragged sound is still there. After changing out the pulley, the sound is audible around the a/c compressor, alternator, and throttle body. Also I changed out the alternator as well.

Any other ideas?

#2 ·
Welcome to our forums.

Sometimes worn belts can run thin and cause some excess vibrations. If the belt is new and its still making an evil noise I would use a towel and put some pressure on the pullies in the area your having trouble with while the car is running ( obviously you need to be EXTRA careful puting your hands near the engine when its on ) . That pressure can knock down the vibrations and help you find your squeal.

hope that helps

#7 ·
Checked all my pulleys and they feel just fine no loose ends, the belts are good. The noise is definitely near the ic -> tb end area. Gonna tear apart that area for any loose ends (poss y pipe) also it's got the symptoms of the iacv (stalls when decelerating to a stop at high speed). Will get back later for more details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.