Grinding noise/feeling when turning left - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

daletron is an unknown
Grinding noise/feeling when turning left

first of all im not really sure if this is the correct section to be posting, im not entirely sure where the problem is coming from.
Second, i have done some reading around on this. Most people seem to think its the rotor hitting the dust protector or something along those lines.
Im going to have a look this weekend to see if it is the rotors.

How ever, i get this same noise/feeling in the steering wheel when i hit high rpm going in a straight line. Usually it only happens in 1st or 2nd gear.
I just recently swapped out my 5mt and replaced it with a 6mt, ever since the swap i have been having this problem.
I really hope it isnt something to do with my front diff or anything.
any thoughts?
cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You want us to help diagnose your problem? Sounds like the problem diagnosis forum to me! Moved

My first thought is the tranny is noisier and you're just not used to it. The beefier the tranny, the more noise it'll make. Go test drive an evo. The drivetrain whines amazingly loudly totally stock with 0 miles. Yours has some mileage.

You seem vague on where the noise is coming from. Could it be clutch/flywheel related? Does the noise go away when you put the clutch all the way in?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
did you change the rear diff as well?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

daletron is an unknown
thanks

the noise seems to be coming from the front left of the car, possibly the wheel, im not entirely sure. How ever its more the feeling i get through the steering wheel that im worried about. It almost feels like a spinning part/object is hitting on something else because it also interferes with my steering, meaning i have to pull the steering wheel back (more so than usual). It only happens on sharp turns, like taking off at a T-intersection. It goes away if i push the clutch in.

I didnt have to change the rear diff as the gearbox i got was a direct fit with the correct ratios.

My step dad seems to thank it may have something to do with the power steering or possibly the belt.

cheers.