Good news and bad news... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good news and bad news...

Well, the good news is that my new floor jack and jack stands showed up today and I'm very excited to try them out.

The bad news is that as of last night, my car is running like poo again. I have a feeling it might be the spark plugs.

Symptoms:
Had about 1/4 tank of gas, so I topped it off with Shell 93 at my usual gas station.
Was driving from Frederick to Hagerstown doing about 70 w/ cruise control on.
Approaching the top of South Mountain, car began to feel sluggish and jerkey.
No check engine light.
Turned off cruise control immediately and slowed down.
Applied gas - only getting about 1/2 power and it feels jerkey upon acceleration.
Drove home slowly, still no check engine light.

Let the troubleshooting begin...

Bad gas?
I hope not - that's the station I've always gone to since I bought the car.

Loose gas cap?
I swear I clicked it at least 3 times.

Bad spark plugs?
The stock plugs have about 50k on them. I'm hoping that's my problem.
Might throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank too just in case.
I don't have time to change the plugs before work today, so I'm hoping the problem won't get much worse with one trip to and from work. I have a feeling it's pretty horrible to drive with fouled spark plugs (if that's my problem), but I'll drive as easy as I can. It doesn't idle rough, just doesn't give me full power upon wot. Similar symptoms as when my Pulstar plugs completely crapped out on me... except running much better.

Dying turbo?
Please no!!! No unusual sounds coming from engine bay, just a noticeable lack of power.

Maybe it could be a boost leak somewhere...

Stay tuned to find out

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Geezus John.... change the friggin plugs.

Procrastinator.

Then look 4 boost leaks.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
So... yesterday morning when the sun came up, I went outside, checked my gas cap - tight, took a look around under the hood - everything looked good to me, dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank (tank was still completely full), attempted to plug in my AP so I could read how much boost I was getting on the short cruise I was going to take to see if the problem still existed, but the AP failed to load completely no matter what I did (car on, car off, green test connectors plugged in, unplugged, keys in, keys out)... odd. Funny thing is, the jerking problem is completely gone now and the car is back to full power. I did get on it a couple of times on my commute to and from work yesterday, so maybe one of the plugs had a little gunk built up on it and the high rpms and spirited driving burned it off. I'm guessing the ecu just had a hiccup because the engine was under somewhat heavy load going up hill in 5th gear not going very fast. This morning, I'm going to try to get my AP to work by disconnecting my battery and letting everything die and also try to load the current software from Cobb's website. Hopefully that'll solve that problem.

As far as the stock spark plugs, they actually have less than 40k on them. I swapped them out at 30k for Pulstar plugs (with the intention of changing them every 30k) and used those for about 10k before swapping the stockers back in since I was experiencing problems. So, they really only have around 40k on them. I was sort of hoping the stock plugs would make it another 10k miles so I could just swap them out at my 60k service and then change them at regular 30k intervals, but since it's so nice outside today and I'm off, I think I'll just change them to the NRK Iridiums I have in the garage just to be safe. Those should last me from 50k to 90k no problem... then I'll reset my ecu, update my AP, and plug it back in and see if everything's working.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If the plugs weren't such a JOB on those cars....

DO you ever seafoam your car?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

I don't mind doing the plugs.. now that I've done it several times, it's not so bad.

I tried updating the firmware on my AP, but it's not even loading fully when I plug the AP into my computer, so I have a feeling there might be a problem with the unit or the cable. I'm going to call Cobb in a couple of hours when they open and see if there's anything they can do.

...and nope, I've never used seafoam before. I'm a little hesitant to do something like that.

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Might help with the hesitation issue.

Just sayin

Do you have anybody around that will let you borrow a cable ?

In addition, did you ever send your dongle back for an updated one ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nope, nobody around that I know of.. so I attempted to plug my AP into my computer and my computer doesn't even recognize it so I can't update the firmware. I called the Cobb tech support line and described my issues and they had me send it to them for service. So I'm without my AP for a little while... and I still haven't changed my plugs

John
07 WRX
#8 Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Do you have the grey and red dongle ? If not, send them that as well for the updated one.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Do you have a walboro 255 fuel pump?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Pretty sure my dongle was grey and red. I mailed everything back. I don't know if the issue was the cable, the dongle, or the unit itself. I have a feeling my car is ok though because both my car and my computer had trouble recognizing that the AccessPORT was connected. I'm expecting it to take several days for it to ship from MD to UT and then maybe a few more before someone gets a chance to look at it. The guy I spoke to on the phone said they'd run some diagnostics on it and let me know if there will be any fees associated before they do any work. I'm thinking they'll either reprogram the unit or just try to sell me a new dongle and/or cable, so I'm expecting to pay a little at least. They said there was a 1 yr warranty on parts and I believe it's free for them to reprogram it, but we'll see. It just seems odd to me that it would just stop working all of a sudden.

And nope, no Walbro pump yet. It's still on my list though.

John
07 WRX