A girl in need of help,Please! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

azsubegrl is an unknown
A girl in need of help,Please!

Ok so i just replaced my rad about 3 months ago due to a hole in the stock one. Well today i noticed it smelled like coolant so i looked and of course there is dry coolant all over the motor (and no, the car is not running hot) cant seem to see a hose that has a hole or leak nor in the rad itself.....then i was walkin out the gym and realized there was a trail of liquid comin from under the car, assuming it was coolant...NOPE it was oil! and have NO idea where it is coming from, checked my oil levels and all is good. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
keep your fluids topped off and start intensively monitoring when it does and doesn't happen (including the rate at which you are losing fluid/oil). Use a flashlight and start searching for where the drip trail is and originates. This includes getting under the car on a regular basis.

That's how I would start anyway, based on your post.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#3 Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Check the coolant hose clamps. Maybe the coolant your seeing was from your old radiator? Your gonna have to put the car up on ramps or something and see if you can see where the oil is coming from. Could be from a leaky drain plug gasket or maybe if you just changed your oil some got on the motor.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
It would not hurt to really clean things up. They some engine cleaners that really work well. Once you clean all the existing stuff off you can see if you really are getting any new coolant leaks. Also check your powerstearing fluid and brake fluid since you said your oil level was good. Ohh, if you have an automatic check that level also. Not sure what fluid levels you checked..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#5 Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Clean it up completely and leave a sheet of newspaper or something under the car. That's probably the only way you will be able to clearly see where the leak is coming from. If you just changed the radiator I don't see how you could have tapped anything into the engine oil, but anything can happen I guess. Good Luck.
#6 Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
It would not hurt to really clean things up. They some engine cleaners that really work well. Once you clean all the existing stuff off you can see if you really are getting any new coolant leaks. Also check your powerstearing fluid and brake fluid since you said your oil level was good. Ohh, if you have an automatic check that level also. Not sure what fluid levels you checked..
+1 to this an what everyone else has been saying. Either way, check the transmission fluid as well. Crawling under the car after cleaning it and running it a bit will give you the best idea of where it's coming from.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug