Getting into reverse - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Getting into reverse

Anybody have the issue that sometimes your car doesn't want to get into reverse after you start it up. It seems to happen to me about 50% of the time and it's been going on since I first got the car. Basically I go for reverse and the stick just doens't want to get in there. If I then put it on a forward gear and give it a bit of gas to move forward a couple inches, then it'll slide in. If anything if feels like the gears aren't meshing in (not synhcro'd?), but if it move it forward a bit they're moving so they can slide in place.

Not really a big deal, just an annoyance.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Common. Fix without moving:
1) Fully engage clutch (put your clutch foot down)
2) Go into second
3) Go back into neutral
4) Fully disengage clutch
5) Fully engage clutch
6) Go into reverse.

Second has a nice syncro which can re-sync things for you... so to speak.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Now is that a perm. fix or an every time it happens fix?

-Chris
post #4 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Garage
every time it happens fix. Which should be... I dunno... once ever 1k miles or so? If it's happening every damn time and the car is still under warranty, take it in. If it's repeatable right in front of them, they'll have to deal with it.

post #5 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

It's just about every time I go into reverse and the car as under 13k on it. I haven't done anything that will affect the transmission going into reverse, especially since it's been doing it all along anyways. They may give me crap for the short throw and bushings though....

-Chris
post #6 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Garage
They will, and they have some cause there. This typically happens when reverse gets shoved in routinely and bushings/short throw make your hand motion more more directly linked to the gear.

post #7 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah I'll probably just live with it, not like I use reverse more than ten seconds a day anyways. I did try the going into second, neutral, and then into reverse and it clicked in after not wanting to go in at first so thanks for that trick.

-Chris
post #8 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Every manual transmission car I've had has given me that same issue to some extent. I just go through a couple gears and can usually get it in. I never thought of it as a problem. Since the reverse gear isn't actually synced with the forward gears, I *think* that's why we have the problem in reverse. Imagine 2 gear cogs that the teeth aren't aligned and that's what's happening. You can also barely let out the clutch in reverse (not to the point of grinding) and it'll typically get the gears to turn around a little. It's a pain, but my 2 Hondas, 2 Acuras, Mazda, and 2 Subarus have ALL done that.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah I figure it's a syncro issue and I'm not gonna worry about it. Just wanted to see if anybody else has that issue at all.

-Chris
post #10 of 12 Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
mine gives me problems too....i just push in the clutch and run in through the gears and then its fine. But i had this problem will almost all the cars i've had. In the same boat as Hondafan.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #11 of 12 Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Yeah, I've always run into this issue at some point with manuals through out my ownership line. The WRX does it alot, but is usually close enough that I can realign with another gear as MOSC said, or just push a little bit more and it will go. I used to do what Hondafan said about letting out the clutch a little, but more often than I liked I ended up grinding a bit so I just don't do that any more. 2 second issue, 1 second fix, lol.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

My usual fix is just putting it in gear and giving it a bit of gas to get it to roll a little bit and then it goes right in. This fix mosc recommended worked as well.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement