gear whine / rear diff - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-28-2004, 12:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

dumb_1 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to dumb_1 Send a message via Yahoo to dumb_1
Question gear whine / rear diff

I have a 03 WRX,since day one it has had a gear whine around 60 mph. I have had the service techs drive my car , but they drove my car in the city and not at highway speeds where the noise is loudest. My dealer wants me to take the service manager for a ride so he can hear the problem(but he is never around when I can take him for the ride). I complained to SOA ,they dont acknowledge any gear problems like mine. I have read some posts on wrxtuners recently of other that have similar problems. Is this a common problem with the wrx? Has SOA taken care of these problems under warranty? What is the cause? It kind of sounds like a gear lash problem(excessive lash or not enough lash). I am wanting to have them do something about this problem. Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2004, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxecution is an unknown
i am wanting to say it is the rear diff. i just had mine replaced under warranty. does it get louder when you hold in the clutch?? if so i would say it is definately the rear diff
#3 Old 02-29-2004, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

dumb_1 is an unknown
I havent noticed if it is louder while holding in the clutch,I'll try that today. The noise seems to be coming from the rear of the car. Noise is deffinately louder @ 60 mph with very light throttle. How long did it take for them to replace ? Did they say if it a common problem ? Unrelated ,if your from Knoxville have you ever taken your car up the tail of the dragon to deals gap(federal hwy 129 outside of pigeon forge) ? Thanks for the info ,talk to you later
#4 Old 02-29-2004, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxecution is an unknown
only took the 5 hours to do it but they didnt say if it was common or not. i havent been to the dragon yet my schedule usually doesnt afford me that much time for fun but i am planning on going up to drive it at least once this summer. i know for a fact i will be at nopi in bristol and maybe a few other shows up that way this yeardo you know where foothills parkway is?? a bunch of guys around knoxville are planning to drive it sometime soon and you are more than welcome to come pm me and we'll talk some more
#5 Old 07-08-2004, 05:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

jjs305 is an unknown
I have the same problem at 60-70 mph at about 2500 rpms with my 04 wrx. What does SOA stand for and how do I contact them?
Thanks jjs305
#6 Old 07-08-2004, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally posted by jjs305
I have the same problem at 60-70 mph at about 2500 rpms with my 04 wrx. What does SOA stand for and how do I contact them?
Thanks jjs305
SOA- Subaru Of America

http://www.subaruofamerica.com/index.jsp

http://www.hoovers.com/subaru-of-ame...actsheet.xhtml
#7 Old 07-08-2004, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

dumb_1 is an unknown
I complained to my dealer,they did nothing . I then called Subaru of America , talk to them and have them assign you a claim # . They will probably have you go to the dealer for them 2 check out ,SOA will follow up with your dealer then . Talk to Petra @ SOA customer service. I went through quite an ordeal to get my rear end replaced & after 5000 mi. the sound is back . The service man says there is no noise he can hear , If you take a service tech for a ride make sure you go on smooth pavement so they can hear your problem . I took the tech on rough concrete there was so much road noise you could'nt hear #%&!!.
#8 Old 09-05-2004, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Potato is an unknown
High pitch wine!

My buddy and I were top speed testing the Dubya on a long stretch near my house. On the last fun run right around 140mph my car made a really loud wining sound. What might That be?
#9 Old 09-08-2004, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato
My buddy and I were top speed testing the Dubya on a long stretch near my house. On the last fun run right around 140mph my car made a really loud wining sound. What might That be?
was it accompanied by some blue light?

that was the highway patroll...
#10 Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato
my car makes it around 130. so i stopped going that fast, unless that damned z4 comes back around.