Gauge Cluster - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Gauge Cluster

I have searched a ton of forums and articles trying to find an identical problem, but have come up empty, so here goes.
I recently took my gauge cluster off to block the TPMS light, and removed the needles (I think putting a peice of tape over your gauge is ghetto, so I did it the right way blocking the light from behind.) I got the cluster back together and put the needles back on, and now 80% of the time the car fires up and the gauges are right on. Problem is the other 20% of the time the gauges decide they don't want to settle, back down to E for instance if we are talking about fuel. It's almost like the motor isn't receiving the signal, it kinda bounces and then just sits at half, then you fire the car back up and all the sudden you have 150% fuel (way over full). But then, you turn the car off and the gauge decides to sit down and you fire it back up and your all good.
Things i have ruled out.
1. Sending units.
2. gauge motor.
3. Needles rubbing cluster face.
4. I have re soldered every motor connection to make sure it's not a loose connection on the gauge.
Any clues as to what else causes this behavior?
Thanks a bunch
(Speed and Tach are always perfect)
As a side note, a couple of the gauges now have this irratic "bounce" or click when you shut the car off instead of just sitting down.
I do my research and play endlessly before I post something, so I am hoping I don't get the "is it plugged in" responses.
Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just asking...because I haven't pulled the gauges on this car. But, was it necessary to take the needles off? My last car all you had is pull the gauges out and turn it over....the bulbs where on the back.

When I pulled the needles off my car before I got subarus. I bet that I pulled the needles off and on about 10+ times to get them on just right. I put the ricer mod on my guages with that car. White faced guages during the day and then could change the color of whole white faced area blue or green when my headlights were on. It was a neat guage cover...that I had to splice into the electrical system. But, most of my problems were the needles rubbing the overlay.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The way it's setup is the black face has 2 clip-throughs that attach to the back. You can't see the back of the face without removing the assembly with the motor/electrics. So unfortunately I saw no other way to do it. I have had them off/on off/on but they seem right for a while and then all the sudden they wack out on me and decide they want to rest at a different position.
The way the 08+'s are is the cluster is kind of "one unit" with no real "bulbs". You have to disassemble the cluster to get to the light fittings.
#4 Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Eff...that sucks.

Kirt
#5 Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Is it plugged in????....Okay sorry had to do it.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scotty_WRX is an unknown
i've never had this issue on a subaru but i'm an avionics guy on airplanes and when we have instrumentation issues we'll recycle the power a few times just for s&g's. have you tried disconnected the car battery, and the positive and negative terminals together for about 10 sec. then try and hook everything up? Might not help you out but it just might be worth a shot.
#7 Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks I will give it a shot, I did remove the battery for a while, last week when I replaced the plugs and the gauges went haywire, Since I have got them where they work most the time I'll give it a shot. Maybe they'll settle down.
#8 Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_WRX View Post
i've never had this issue on a subaru but i'm an avionics guy on airplanes and when we have instrumentation issues we'll recycle the power a few times just for s&g's. have you tried disconnected the car battery, and the positive and negative terminals together for about 10 sec. then try and hook everything up? Might not help you out but it just might be worth a shot.
Now I feel safe. If it doesnt work on an AIRPLANE, just reset it. That MIGHT fix it. (just kidding)

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#9 Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scotty_WRX is an unknown
^^^lol i know what you mean. On the current Air frame i'm assigned to, it has a lot of electrical "gremlins" in the systems that cause randon errors and is fixed by recycling power 90% of the time. not too comforting is it? Honestly most of it is caused by improper turn on procedures by the air crew themselves.
#10 Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scotty_WRX is an unknown
any luck fixing this issue yet?
#11 Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I power cycled the battery, but haven't driven the car enough to know if it helped yet or not. I can't help but think the little twitch my cluster has developed is trying to tell me something, and it still does that so I dunno yet.
-Carl
#12 Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

bowler6788 is an unknown
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I am having this same problem. I took off the needles to do a cluster color mod and now the speedo and tach are all off. "sticking" on the way up and back down when I turn it off. Anyone figure out anything on this?
#13 Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm wondering if it may just be worth the saved time to jump on NASIOC and buy one used from a part out.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#14 Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler6788 View Post
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I am having this same problem. I took off the needles to do a cluster color mod and now the speedo and tach are all off. "sticking" on the way up and back down when I turn it off. Anyone figure out anything on this?
Welcome to your own slice of hell. I did that mod years ago to one of my old cars and its almost impossible to get the needles back on correctly. Some people back then sent them back to the manufactor to get them recalibrated. But, I have a feeling that its more of a rubbing problem if its a overlay to the cluster that you installed.

Kirt
#15 Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

bowler6788 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Welcome to your own slice of hell. I did that mod years ago to one of my old cars and its almost impossible to get the needles back on correctly. Some people back then sent them back to the manufactor to get them recalibrated. But, I have a feeling that its more of a rubbing problem if its a overlay to the cluster that you installed.
Its actually not an overlay. I replaced the stock bulbs with blue LEDs, and then took the gauge apart because there is a green film that I you need to sand off on the 02-03s so the color comes out right. All I did was take the needles off, sand the stock overlay, and put it back on, so the gap and spacing is still the same, but I still can't get the needles right !Cry!