I have searched a ton of forums and articles trying to find an identical problem, but have come up empty, so here goes.
I recently took my gauge cluster off to block the TPMS light, and removed the needles (I think putting a peice of tape over your gauge is ghetto, so I did it the right way blocking the light from behind.) I got the cluster back together and put the needles back on, and now 80% of the time the car fires up and the gauges are right on. Problem is the other 20% of the time the gauges decide they don't want to settle, back down to E for instance if we are talking about fuel. It's almost like the motor isn't receiving the signal, it kinda bounces and then just sits at half, then you fire the car back up and all the sudden you have 150% fuel (way over full). But then, you turn the car off and the gauge decides to sit down and you fire it back up and your all good.
Things i have ruled out.
1. Sending units.
2. gauge motor.
3. Needles rubbing cluster face.
4. I have re soldered every motor connection to make sure it's not a loose connection on the gauge.
Any clues as to what else causes this behavior?
Thanks a bunch
(Speed and Tach are always perfect)
As a side note, a couple of the gauges now have this irratic "bounce" or click when you shut the car off instead of just sitting down.
I do my research and play endlessly before I post something, so I am hoping I don't get the "is it plugged in" responses.
Thanks a bunch!