Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Gas Smell From Rear of Car...Need Some Advice Before I Spend Money (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/gas-smell-rear-car-need-some-advice-before-i-spend-money-25706/)

Cooper 04-06-2009 08:08 AM

Gas Smell From Rear of Car...Need Some Advice Before I Spend Money

For the few of you that have been following my other thread, you will know my mechanic has been chasing a CEL. He's narrowed it down to P0457, which, in my readings on here, seems to point towards a faulty fuel cap. Not a problem. Easy fix.

During this, he has also discovered a slight gasoline smell from the right rear of the vehicle. I know the charcoal canister is back there, but there is no CEL for the canister. Should I get him to replace the canister to alleviate the gasoline smell, or should I wait until there is a CEL for it? IMO, If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Thanks in advance!

Kyole 04-06-2009 02:48 PM

well, the right rear of the car is where the gas cap is, and if you have a faulty gas cap, if the seal of the cap has been torn or if its completely worn down, the gasoline fumes could be escaping through the gas cap, giving you your gas smell. also, its possible that maby a vaccum line on the canister could have slipped off/be cracked.

baller_v24 04-06-2009 04:35 PM

agreed, I would replace the gas cap first and see it that fixes it and then go from there. Tell him to check all the lines and look for evidence of a leak.

jed344 04-06-2009 07:24 PM

start small and cheap lol then work your way up but im guessing its a bad gas cap

Cooper 04-06-2009 08:36 PM

[quote=jed344;219266]start small and cheap lol then work your way up but im guessing its a bad gas cap[/quote]

My thoughts, exactly! Thanks for all the guidance. My mechanic is getting a new gas cap tomorrow, and hopefully there will not be another sneaky little CEL anywhere else!

VD5505 04-06-2009 08:40 PM

also check your filler neck from the gas cap to the tank maybe you have a little crack or a hose clamp is loose, and check all the hoses to and from the charcoal canister. Do you have a smell inside the car as well? Also have you done anything with your fuel pump?

Cooper 04-07-2009 09:21 AM

[quote=VD5505;219284]also check your filler neck from the gas cap to the tank maybe you have a little crack or a hose clamp is loose, and check all the hoses to and from the charcoal canister. Do you have a smell inside the car as well? Also have you done anything with your fuel pump?[/quote]

My mechanic said all the hoses are fine, there is no fuel smell inside the car, and no, I haven't done anything with the fuel pump. He's reaplacing the fuel cap today. I'm sure that will fix the problem because he is still getting the P0457 code.

newtothegame 04-07-2009 10:55 PM

Cooper, get that thing fixed and get up here, just got orders to go to Kansas in October, lol. Hope you get it all fixed man, good luck.

Cooper 04-08-2009 10:26 AM

Well, yet ANOTHER CEL! Gas cap was fixed, and my lovely car threw up another CEL. The P0457 went away, and now I have a P0442. That is an evap system malfunction. My question is this: Is there a culprit with the 2002 that I can go to directly to fix, or is this going to be a "go fish" type of game?

baller_v24 04-08-2009 01:38 PM

[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444344&highlight=P0442]Check Engine Light - P0442 - NASIOC[/url]

[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1280493&highlight=P0442]P0442 - Evaporative Leak - Where to look? - NASIOC[/url]

[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1069309&highlight=P0442]The infamous p0442 Cel????? - NASIOC[/url]
Post #16 helps alot.

Cliff notes: Basically any fuel line that is pressurized and has a leak will cause this CEL code. Need to check in and around the engine bay as well.

Have you had any recent work done inside the engine bay? My bet it's a line not connected right inside the engine bay.

Good luck with it all.

Cooper 04-08-2009 08:38 PM

The only thing that I have had done is swapping the engine out b/c it was crap when I bought the car. I told my mechanic to give the car a good "once-over" and look for anything that might look out of place. We will see tomorrow....

baller_v24 04-08-2009 08:44 PM

Tell him to look and trace [B][U]every[/U][/B] fuel line.

Cooper 04-11-2009 09:24 AM

[quote=baller_v24;219456]Tell him to look and trace [B][U]every[/U][/B] fuel line.[/quote]

I think he's getting frustrated because he is starting to drag his feet with this issue. I go on leave tomorrow, arriving in NC tomorrow night. I will pick the car up from him and tear into it to fix the problem....hopefully...

From what I've read and re-read, I'm going to trace every fuel and vacuum line I can find. I'm also going to go the extra mile and recheck any and all clamps for everything. I have 10 days of leave to get this done. I will share my findings.

oldfartracer 04-11-2009 12:24 PM

The 02-03 had a fuel line problem under the intake manifold. The hose was too short and when it would get cold caused a very small leak. There should be a recall or service bulletin for.
This might be causing your problem

Cooper 04-21-2009 10:27 AM

[quote=oldfartracer;219636]The 02-03 had a fuel line problem under the intake manifold. The hose was too short and when it would get cold caused a very small leak. There should be a recall or service bulletin for.
This might be causing your problem[/quote]

HMMM...I should have checked this days ago. I traced every line to and from the charcoal canister, and they are fine. all electrical connections/wires are fine as well. The fuel cap is fine, as are the filler lines. However, I did not check under the manifold for that particular line. Where is this line? Unfortunately it will have to wait until July. I am on my way back to CA today...

As far as a fuel smell goes, I do not have a fuel smell inside the car until i roll the windows down. When I do so, the smell is almost overwhelming.