Frozen washer fluid? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Frozen washer fluid?

My windshield washer fluid stopped spraying the other day. I assumed it was either empty or something froze. I let the engine get nice and warm, hoping maybe it would thaw anything that was frozen, but it still didn't work. So this morning I bought some washer fluid, put as much as possible in, and it still doesn't spray. Any ideas? Do you think something is frozen, or cracked, or leaking? Thanks for the help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
How has the weather been there? Make sure that your spary nozzles arent clogged also. If something is frozen or cracked (not to insult you by any means) but its pretty simple to check. Just follow the line(s) looking or leaks or cracks. You should be able to feel most of the line also to see if its frozen.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Is it still freezing outside by you? Considering me and the one day we had here with snow so far, my nozzles also froze. Which kinda surprised me because I used the orange de-icer stuff. I know its still probably mostly water, but I was assuming it was gonna work some...
post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Probably frozen somewhere which is a pain... I also had a washer pump die on me before though and had to replace it... When you push the button to use the sprayer can you hear the washer motor working?

-Chris
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
It has been pretty cold here non stop. It was 9 deg. this morning. I will check my nozzles when I get out of school later. When I tried this morning I thought I heard the pump working, but I wasn't really listening for it.
Don't worry about insulting me, I realize that checking lines for leaks/cracks is pretty simple, I just wanted some opinions before I freeze my manhood off later.

Mike
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I lived in Mass for 7 months but never when it was cold... It was in the single digits here the last week so I def put in the -20 stuff before that hit... Lesson learned adding the cold temp stuff to the summer stuff doesn't always solve the problem... Try and use the summer stuff up quick and then fill it with cold weather fluid.

-Chris
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Alright, I'll let you guys know what I find later. Thanks for the help.

Mike
post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Yeah if you hear your pump going when you press the button then I'd say don't worry about it...If you are really determined though to see if it works you can always try to take a hair dryer to it for a few minutes (hopefully in a garage).