Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Flickering Oil Pressure Light (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/flickering-oil-pressure-light-32975/)

Jautry27 09-02-2012 04:48 AM

Flickering Oil Pressure Light

I'm sure you guys have seen this problem before. I just bought the car today. First time WRX owner. Anyway, I drove it nearly 100 miles, then I noticed the Oil Pressure light coming on at low idle speeds...apprx. 500-700rpm, give or take...when I give it gas, the light goes off. When idling, sometimes I can hit the gas and rev it up, and the light wont come back for a few minutes, but sometimes it will come on right away, but like I said, anytime I hit the gas, it goes away. As long as the throttle has any kind of rpm's above 600-750, it's not an issue. Since buying it, I have put nearly 250 miles on it, and haven't noticed any problems with the engine. No burning oil, oil level is fine, oil is still in the 3000 mile parameter. Please please please tell me this is nothing major, as I just bought the car, financed and everything. None of this was an issue when test driving it. I'm really hoping it is just a sensor issue and will be an easy fix....i'm scared shitless b/c i sure as hell cant afford to put it in the shop for something major already. if it is major, then i'm gonna be paying for a car that I cant even drive....
:hurl:

turmic 09-02-2012 06:02 PM

The car is brand new? Correct? If yes, have the dealership check it out. Its under warranty.

Sent from my AT100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Jautry27 09-02-2012 06:40 PM

It is a 2007 with 85,000 miles. I am wondering if it could just be a throttle issue and it idles too low therefore not creating enough psi to fully activate the sensor. Idle control maybe?

bad grocerygetter 09-02-2012 08:36 PM

I would march right back where I bought it and tell them to fix it. Don't let that slide. Are you talking about the oil light on the dash? If so I had a civic years ago that had an oil pump go out...car went bye bye. I thought it was just a short. My oil levels were fine also. It was doing the same thing you are describing. You don't want that to happen.

Jautry27 09-03-2012 01:41 PM

[quote=bad grocerygetter;285089]I would march right back where I bought it and tell them to fix it. Don't let that slide. Are you talking about the oil light on the dash? If so I had a civic years ago that had an oil pump go out...car went bye bye. I thought it was just a short. My oil levels were fine also. It was doing the same thing you are describing. You don't want that to happen.[/quote]

I had it checked out this morning, and it is just the sensor. Oil psi was normal and the oil flow was normal. Just the sensor...

turmic 09-04-2012 10:54 AM

Good to hear.

bad grocerygetter 09-04-2012 03:06 PM

Good deal man. Glad to know it wasn't worse.