A few problems with newly purchased WRX '09 Wagon - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TWREX is an unknown
A few problems with newly purchased WRX '09 Wagon

Hey guys,

I have noticed a few minor issues with our new WRX. It has 25xxx miles on it. It is a very clean car and looked to have been well taken care of. But I'm no expert in automotive by any means.

Problem 1: When under full acceleration, I can feel a slight miss at about 4500-5000RPM, I dont think it's anything major, but it is noticeable.

Problem 2: When Idling, I can hear what I believe to be the throwout bearing chirping. It's a light chirping noise that stops when I put pressure on the clutch pedal. Will an extended warranty cover this repair? Any experience with similar problems?

Problem 3: I can hear a rubbing noise when I turn to the right. I dont hear it when turning left. Wheels are stock size, so i dont think there should be any clearance isssues with anything.

Note: I did not notice any of this while test driving the car and Ive only had it for about 2 weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWREX View Post
Hey guys,

I have noticed a few minor issues with our new WRX. It has 25xxx miles on it. It is a very clean car and looked to have been well taken care of. But I'm no expert in automotive by any means.

Problem 1: When under full acceleration, I can feel a slight miss at about 4500-5000RPM, I dont think it's anything major, but it is noticeable. Any CEL's?

Problem 2: When Idling, I can hear what I believe to be the throwout bearing chirping. It's a light chirping noise that stops when I put pressure on the clutch pedal. Will an extended warranty cover this repair? Any experience with similar problems? Does it matter if it's IN gear or not?

Problem 3: I can hear a rubbing noise when I turn to the right. I dont hear it when turning left. Wheels are stock size, so i dont think there should be any clearance isssues with anything. Look at the wheel liner, if not... any marks on the tire?

Note: I did not notice any of this while test driving the car and Ive only had it for about 2 weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

See in bold

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TWREX is an unknown
No CEL.

Does not matter if it's in gear or not.

No visible rub marks. But I did find some plastic shields that are missing the plastic retainers that could be causing some noise.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TWREX is an unknown
Problem 3 has been resolved. It was the loose plastic shields in the wheelwell causing the noise.

Some more info on problem 2: It stopped chirping for a while and then just started doing it again. It will repeatedly stop making the noise, then start up again. I can also hear the chirping when driving. Not sure if this helps.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Is it still under warranty? Glad you found the wheel liner issue.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
As far as the slight miss, if the spark plugs haven't been done yet its about time.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TWREX is an unknown
I'll definitely try some new plugs. Like you said it could probably use them anyway. Warranty just expired, although I did purchase an extended warranty. However, it doesn't cover clutch components. They are considered a regular wear out item, for lack of a better term. So I may have to just fork out the 1200$ for a clutch job....!Cry!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TWREX is an unknown
I just finished reading a huge thread on ClubWRX that included numerous horror stories about clutch failures at 5-20k miles. Some got covered by warranty and failed again. Some blame the organic clutch compound. Would it be worth it to just have a SPEC clutch installed? Would I be ahead later on down the road. Replacing a clutch every 20k miles is not my idea of a good time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement