Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   A few problems with newly purchased WRX '09 Wagon (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/few-problems-newly-purchased-wrx-09-wagon-32665/)

TWREX 06-25-2012 01:39 PM

A few problems with newly purchased WRX '09 Wagon

Hey guys,

I have noticed a few minor issues with our new WRX. It has 25xxx miles on it. It is a very clean car and looked to have been well taken care of. But I'm no expert in automotive by any means.

Problem 1: When under full acceleration, I can feel a slight miss at about 4500-5000RPM, I dont think it's anything major, but it is noticeable.

Problem 2: When Idling, I can hear what I believe to be the throwout bearing chirping. It's a light chirping noise that stops when I put pressure on the clutch pedal. Will an extended warranty cover this repair? Any experience with similar problems?

Problem 3: I can hear a rubbing noise when I turn to the right. I dont hear it when turning left. Wheels are stock size, so i dont think there should be any clearance isssues with anything.

Note: I did not notice any of this while test driving the car and Ive only had it for about 2 weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

pzr2874 06-25-2012 01:48 PM

[quote=TWREX;281516]Hey guys,

I have noticed a few minor issues with our new WRX. It has 25xxx miles on it. It is a very clean car and looked to have been well taken care of. But I'm no expert in automotive by any means.

Problem 1: When under full acceleration, I can feel a slight miss at about 4500-5000RPM, I dont think it's anything major, but it is noticeable. [B]Any CEL's?[/B]

Problem 2: When Idling, I can hear what I believe to be the throwout bearing chirping. It's a light chirping noise that stops when I put pressure on the clutch pedal. Will an extended warranty cover this repair? Any experience with similar problems? [B]Does it matter if it's IN gear or not?[/B]

Problem 3: I can hear a rubbing noise when I turn to the right. I dont hear it when turning left. Wheels are stock size, so i dont think there should be any clearance isssues with anything. [B]Look at the wheel liner, if not... any marks on the tire?[/B]

Note: I did not notice any of this while test driving the car and Ive only had it for about 2 weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks[/quote]

See in bold

TWREX 06-25-2012 02:13 PM

No CEL.

Does not matter if it's in gear or not.

No visible rub marks. But I did find some plastic shields that are missing the plastic retainers that could be causing some noise.

TWREX 06-25-2012 03:33 PM

Problem 3 has been resolved. It was the loose plastic shields in the wheelwell causing the noise.

Some more info on problem 2: It stopped chirping for a while and then just started doing it again. It will repeatedly stop making the noise, then start up again. I can also hear the chirping when driving. Not sure if this helps.

pzr2874 06-26-2012 05:46 AM

Is it still under warranty? Glad you found the wheel liner issue.

bad grocerygetter 06-26-2012 07:46 AM

As far as the slight miss, if the spark plugs haven't been done yet its about time.

TWREX 06-28-2012 10:38 PM

I'll definitely try some new plugs. Like you said it could probably use them anyway. Warranty just expired, although I did purchase an extended warranty. However, it doesn't cover clutch components. They are considered a regular wear out item, for lack of a better term. So I may have to just fork out the 1200$ for a clutch job....!Cry!

TWREX 07-08-2012 11:09 AM

I just finished reading a huge thread on ClubWRX that included numerous horror stories about clutch failures at 5-20k miles. Some got covered by warranty and failed again. Some blame the organic clutch compound. Would it be worth it to just have a SPEC clutch installed? Would I be ahead later on down the road. Replacing a clutch every 20k miles is not my idea of a good time.