Faint Oil light Flickered - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

scythenkai is an unknown
Faint Oil light Flickered

I started my car this morning and took off for work. About 2 minute down the road i noticed my oil pressure light flickered really faintly and faintly lit up for about a second then went off. I drove the car really lightly to a gas station about a mile or two down the road watching carefully. No light came back on. I checked the oil and it seemed about 1/4 quart low so i purchased some and filled it back up. There is a decent corner out of my apartment complex and speed bumps. I noticed the light popped on faintly after the last bump. Im wondering if the oil pressure sensor got shorted out for a split second due to the bumps.. but im unsure i havent noticed any smoking or oil burning. I know that it could mean , failing oil pump, low oil/no oil...or failing bearings....You guys got any ideas what steps i should take from here to figure things out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Try ceaning the connection to the sensor.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2008, 04:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

sideways is an unknown
i recently had my oil pressure light flicker on the freeway, it happened right as i hit an abrupt grade change from slight downhill to flat ground so i interpreted the flicker as something i don't understand getting jolted around for a second. since then i've changed the oil (which i found to be low) and the light hasn't come on but, should i be worried about my bearings or oil pump? the car has just over 100k miles. catback exhaust is the only mod on the car.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

killerbmotor is an unknown
How about we look right at the service manual
Attached Images

post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
How is that suppose to help them in this case?? If you really worried about oil pressure get a oil pressure gauge and monitor what it does. If the gauge is reading low i would really probably start thinking about getting a new oil pump. Another question, you guys aren't running a Fram Oil filter are you??
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
I had that happening to mine. I threw a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in with my next oil change and never had the problem come back... Still not sure what it was.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

killerbmotor is an unknown
Could be the oil pickup cracking. The OEM ones are known to fail. They typically break VERY quickly after the crack occurs.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Found the problem, it was a slightly loose ground wire.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug