Extreme rich with warm start, and lean revs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-06-2010, 02:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxhope is an unknown
Extreme rich with warm start, and lean revs

Im new to forums but i need help. You can view my mods but brief rundown is this, 02 wrx, 2.5 sti shortblock, ported and polished heads, 8.5 compression ratio, forced performance 7cm 20g turbo, godspeed top mount intercooler, samco intercooler hoses, 3 inch turbo inlet hose, 640cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, aem cai, dc sports up pipe, bellmouth downpipe, 3 inch custom exhaust with straight through muffler, tgv's removed (sensors left in place and in correct position), hks fuel cut defencer, apexi afc neo fuel controller, aem wideband fuel controller, 9 lb flywheel and act clutch. My problem is this, on a cold start the car runs perfect, however warm start (turning car off and leaving off for <30 min) results in extremely rich conditions like <10.0 on wideband and smokes like crazy and sounds cammed to death for a few minutes and then runs fine. If leave off long enough for everything to cool such as 45 min or more, runs fine on start up. Also when revving engine, short throttle pulses, car immediately goes lean, like hesitation but then revs, like 18.0 on wideband, when warm, not during rich conditions described earlier, but after car returns to normal. My best guess is this has something to do with the car running fine in closed loop, and running crappy in open loop. Already replaced O2 sensor and MAf sensor. What else could it be other than i need a stand alone. Im at my wits end, I've done enough for the car to be fast, im just worried that the ECU is too smart and i need to 86 it. Help or ideas please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
get rid of the SAFC and the FCD...get the stock ECU tuned

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Exactly what Matt said. You dont need that fancy of stuff to run what you have. Its not uncommon what you have. Any decent tuner can tune the car to run just fine, no problems.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxhope is an unknown
I completely agree. The only reason I did the afc and the fcd is because I thought that possibly I could trick the ecu enough to run properly. Here is my question though, would I really save any money on getting the car tuned by someone, on a dyno, vs. buying either a standalone or something like a utec. I've looked around my local area and the only person within local distance that I would trust tuning the car owns one of the fastest wrx in the country, over 1,000 whp and would charge me an arm and a leg to tune the car. Or do you think something like a tactrix cable and open ecu software, granted enough of a learning curve, would solve without going to someone else. I used to be a mechanic so I think that I could learn the software enough, but I don't know enough about it to know if it would do enough to reconcile the differences I have with my ecu. Or does anyone know of anyone that i should go to that could do a fairly cheap but reliable tune. I live in knoxville, tn, and i don't want to drive the car 500 miles and 700 or 800 dollars for a tune when I could buy a 200 dollar cable and do it myself. Any thoughts?
#5 Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
If your not sure just pay someone, it's not something that you want to learn as you go with, we're talking about a very temperamental engine, it's not like this is a honda or 5.0 were talking about where you just bolt things on and go

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxhope is an unknown
figured it out, my piece of crap factory up pipe, which i gutted, broke completely in half. it didnt crack, or get a hole, it broke completely in half. replaced it with a dc sports up pipe. once again, cant lift my head off the head rest under wot. ahhhh, the beauty of subaru acceleration.
#7 Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
3" turbo inlet hose on a 2.4" turbo?
#8 Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
7 cm turbo = 2.76 in
3 in turbo inlet hose = 7.62 cm

Something there doesn't seem to add up.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#9 Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's probably a 3in tapering down...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
7 cm turbo = 2.76 in
3 in turbo inlet hose = 7.62 cm

Something there doesn't seem to add up.
7cm^2 doesn't refer to the inlet side of the turbo... You can have a 7cm turbo with a 3" inlet as they're on opposite ends.

-Chris
#11 Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
I'm glad you guys helped because my only thought while trying to read this was:
Attached Images

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#12 Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ah, thanks for clearing that one up Chris. One of these days I'll actually sit down and do some hardcore turbo research.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)