exhaust gas temp - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-31-2003, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jmhoffma is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to jmhoffma
exhaust gas temp

hey all. i was wondering if anyone has an exhasut gas temperature gauge in their rex and if so what kind of numbers does it tell you? i have one in mine and im not sure if it is telling me correct info (or if the info is correct should these numbers be so darn high). im getting readings upwards of 1500 degrees F. to me this sounds kinda high but i really have no idea. any info would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2003, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Yeah, I've got the Greddy Electronic w/ Warning and Peak Hold in my car. When I'm cruising on the High way I normally see my EGTs at about 750 C or 1382 F. Depending on what gear I'm in and whether I'm WOT or not, I've spiked 850-860 C or 1562-1580 F. You don't really want to be cruising at 1500 for a LONG time. and you DO NOT want to hit 1600 F for more than a few Seconds, because that's the temp that stuff starts to break.

Hope that helps you some.

Blue
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jmhoffma is an unknown
egt

hey, thanks for the info. where did you mount the thermal coupler for the egt gauge? i have mine mounted rite in front of the turbo (to get worse case temp reading).
post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2003, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Woudn't worst case reading be just past the combination of the engine headers into 1 pipe? And what's a good price to pay for that item. And how hard are you kids driving the car w/temps that high... I don't have one and have only intake/exhaust mods to my car (no boost alterations). do i need to worry seriously about my exhaust gas temp? I do like to hammer it on the on ramps through 3, maby 4 gears up to 85-90mph?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2003, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jmhoffma is an unknown
egt

hey, im thinking this is worst case scenario because once the cylinders fire the next step for the exhaust gas is the turbo. some guys say cylinder 3 runs the hottest and that this is also a good spot for it. i figured getting a reading from the gas of all 4 cylinders couldn't hurt. who know, i could be wrong within minutes of starting my rex and pulling out of my driveway the egt reading is 1000 degrees f. so 1400 and 1500 are pretty reasonable numbers for everyday driving. i dont remember how much my unit was, im thinking about 150 +/- 20 bucks. i think an egt gauge is one of the more important gauges one can have on their rex.

cheers
james