Engine/Turbo problem??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

subeylifer04 is an unknown
Question Engine/Turbo problem???

So to start i just bought a 04 sti with cold air, 3" to cat back exhaust, upgraded top mount intercooler, and upgraded turbo. car has 59,xxx drives smooth and i have drivin it responsible whole time ive had it.

problem is i was driving on the freeway back from snowboarding in 6th gear, and when i tried to punch it i think my turbo stopped spooling, major loss of power, and my engine just reved really high. i did not floor it just needed some power. i didnt think anything of it since i was on a longer trip untill i was driving and the same thing happened again in 5th and i smelt a really bad smell after. has this happened to anyone else? if so how do i prevent it and why did it happen in the first place? im looking for a good shop to take it in and any help here would be appreciated. if you need any more info let me know thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Was the clutch slipping? To get started, is it tuned for those modifications?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
what you are describing is a slipping clutch which means it is due to be replaced

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

i dont think so, it was already in gear and i was just waiting to punch it to merge. and yes the previous owner said that it was tuned for a daily driver at 19 but the guage goes a little higher than that.
#5 Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok so it is a slipping clutch. what about the smell after? just gas im guessing? any suggestions for a new clutch and how much it will cost?
#6 Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Clutch's smell when they are burning. New clutch? $500 maybe

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#7 Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Depends on what you want from the clutch. My clucthmaster stg3 was $800. But also dont forget about the flywheel and other small things. The labor is going to be the killer part for a clutch install.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
if your not planning on going for big power just go with a stock replacement or stg 1 clutch

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#9 Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

billlikecar is an unknown
#10 Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

i was talking to a shop called GST in hayward ca and they suggested exedy organic for $485 or ACT street clutch for 695 + tax and $100 for flywheel resurface. thinking about getting the ACT but still researching. does anyone know of a better clutch or a better deal? Anyone have or know anything about the ACT street?
#11 Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeylifer04 View Post
i was talking to a shop called GST in hayward ca and they suggested exedy organic for $485 or ACT street clutch for 695 + tax and $100 for flywheel resurface. thinking about getting the ACT but still researching. does anyone know of a better clutch or a better deal? Anyone have or know anything about the ACT street?
Both are fine.
#12 Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

going with the ACT street. payed little over 7 for just the part and negotiating the install..