engine problem - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 Old 09-14-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
really? he got all his prices from subaru he said and it was that much there..
the thing is my parents want me to sell it (i'm only 20 so i kinda have to listen to them) so my dad kinda thinks i should just but it back together and sell it asap.
but if i did this 2.5 litre bottom end is it coming from subaru or where? where is a good place to order the forged pistons from and is standard size what i want/what compression? like i thought it would make more sense to put bigger pistons in since he is getting the cylinders honed out again right, but he was saying standard pistons. would i have to take it and get it tuned after putting the 2.5litre bottom end in there so it runs well or will it be fine as is? i've never had an engine apart myself so i dont really know anything about this kind of stuff..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't understand why you would sell it right after you you put a brand new motor in it.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #18 of 27 Old 09-14-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
well i can't sell it without a motor and my parents think it's a tin can and think it's unsafe they would rather i drove a big pickup or something. i don't know what i want to do yet but i will more than likely keep it for another year at least.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-14-2008, 02:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Who's money is going into this? If your parents are helping you, then yes just fix it back to normal. It'll definately be more complicated going the 2.5 route. Either way, you'll have a new engine and I wouldn't sell it. A huge deciding factor in many people's choice of a Subaru is their safety records. For a small car, they are very solid. Do some research for yourself and show your parents.

To be honest, If you stick with the 2.0 block and pick up an accessport you'll probably be very happy with that upgrade.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah i'm just wondering if it would be better to buy the pistons/ring kit, the gasket set and the exhaust valves online or get it from subaru for the prices i had listed, and if i bought pistons online what brand/compression would i want to go with and if you had any sites i could find it on.
post #21 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
so i'm getting the paypal bill right now for the pistons/rings exhaust valves and gasket kit, my mechanic just decided to tell me now he isnt sure if the piston walls being scratched is all that would have been causing the white smoke to come out (there was alot), but he wouldnt put the engine back together the way the pistons were. so i'm just wondering if you guys think the pistons or maybe the gaskets could have been causing all that white smoke, or if you think after the engine is back in it may still do it and the turbo could be pooched as well? the cel that came on was for cylinder 3 misfiring which is why he took the engine apart in the first place..
post #22 of 27 Old 09-19-2008, 02:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Bad head gasket? My guess.
post #23 of 27 Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
he torn the engine down for a misfire??? did he do a compression, leakdown test before he disassembled the motor?

my guess is that it was a bad head gasket as well. alot of coolant in a cylinder will cause a misfire.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #24 of 27 Old 09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

headstart101 is an unknown
lol, my wrx got 97k on it and its running a big 16g setup, just got a compressiont test and all cylinders are 150. (good as new) I think 1 in every 15 subaru has a defect in the engine. I have seen sti stock piston go out under 20k without mods, maybe my wrx is one of the lucky 14 that made it out perfectly. But if you go to google shopping you can find a brand new sti block for under 2000 and a built one with piston for under 4, google is better than ebay when it comes to shopping, it even show you ebay items on there too and every online shop that is selling the part your looking for. If i was you i would go with the 2.5 swap, plus the hybrid wrx put out more torque than the sti on stock heads. but im switching to the sti for the brakes, avcs and other stuff the wrx dont have.
post #25 of 27 Old 09-19-2008, 01:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The STi heads can be cleaned up cheaper than you can build a hybrid block. It's not fair to compare your hybrid to a completely stock STi motor. The EJ205 heads are nice, yes, and they work great for a hybrid setup. However, you should really compare built motors with built motors, not built motors with stock motors.

It's kind of like how people like to brag about their stage 2 WRX having "STi power levels" when a much more fair comparison is a stage 2 STi...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #26 of 27 Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

headstart101 is an unknown
Your right but its not fear for the sti to come stock with .5 more liters and a turbo twice as big too, i wonder if the 06-07wrx had a vf43 what the power levels would be like, and which would be faster. I think the wrx will win in the faster area, the sti just has a the look the wrx is begging for.
post #27 of 27 Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah head gasket is what my dad thought too. i don't know about the compression test, but i'll get the motor put back together anyways, if i need a new turbo i'll just get a used one for like 200 i found a few around there no big deal. i don't think i want to mess around with a bigger turbo i dont think i want bigger injectors,fuel pump intercooler as of right now anyways. plus the awd tuning place in edmonton i think just closed.. their website no longer exists anyways..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement