engine problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
engine problem

so like 5 days after i got my wrx back from getting the clutch replaced, it starts puffing white smoke flashing cel, i took it to a friends friend to works on subarus mainly, and turns out that the 2 cylinders on the passenger side are scratched all up and have to be replaced and such and it's going to be about 2600 for parts and 1400 for labour. what should i do like should i see if i can get the parts online for cheaper or try to find a engine i looked on ebay and on here i didnt find much. i mean mine only has like 65 k miles on it so i dunno.. anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
get a 2.5L shortblock?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
get a 2.5L shortblock?
+1, you will save yourself $600 on parts and get some bigger displacement!
post #4 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Having a mechanic do it? If you're getting a new block you might as well drive that one into the ground. Give you a little more time to save the money and you'll get all you can out of that block. Go easy on it, I drove mine with a broken ring for a LONG time.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
the engine is already ripped apart, it had no guts when it happened i could barely get out of my driveway and white smoke was pouring out. the mechanic said it's probabl ynot a good idea to put a sti engine in it ### you need to change the ecu and everything? or is that what you mean by 2.5 litre shortblock? i dont think i get what you mean..
post #6 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
No, that's not what I meant at all. I didn't mean an STi engine. I didn't even mean a 2.5L WRX engine. I meant a hybrid which uses a 2.5L shortblock and your existing heads, ecu, wiring harness, petals, etc. I assume your heads are still in good shape?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
as far as i know he was just saying the piston rings scratched out the cylinder i didnt take any of it apart or anything

is it common for this to happen to subies or was i just driving it too hard? like what usually is the cause of that?

Last edited by mosc; 09-09-2008 at 02:08 AM.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

Last edited by mosc; 09-09-2008 at 02:08 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-10-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
lol. sorry. i'm just in a hurry to find out something to do it's sitting in the guys shop and he wants to know if he should order these parts or what
post #10 of 27 Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
damn 2600 for parts, what is he ordering?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #11 of 27 Old 09-10-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
i'm not exactly sure, i think he was ordering everything right from subaru, and it's subaru canada so even more than us. parts. do you think i should get a list and just try to get the stuff he needs online for cheaper or something? like there is one engine with 77k miles on here a guy was selling for 500, but by the time that gets shipped here i'm sure it would be 1500 at least and then i have an engine with more kms than mine and no idea what i'm getting..
post #12 of 27 Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
well the stuff he told me if i could find it online cheaper is
4 pistons, standard size- $424
piston rings std size.- $254
engine gasket set- $513
8 exhaust valves $344
the valve adjusting shims he tole me he has to put the other stuff back in before he can order those at the right size so that has to come from the dealer, but he said if i can find the rest of this stuff cheaper online i could buy it there. does anyone have any ideas??

p.s Canadian pricing here, i think 1.07 cdn=1.00 us right now.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^^ that dosent add up to 2600.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #14 of 27 Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah i know i realized that after i hung up i think there was some extra for machining the cylinders and stuff too and i'm not sure how much the exhaust valves were going to be. i think that was a top value if other things were needed too but thats what he told me i should try to find for cheaper..
post #15 of 27 Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
First of all, that doesn't add up to 2600 because he obviously didn't give you all the parts he's ordering, just the ones you might try to get yourself. There's no ring set there for starters.

Aren't you going to be kicking yourself later if you don't have it done the way you want it right now? It's already apart, you should just do the 2.5 bottom end. Have him price one out for you. Don't let him pressure you into jumping into a decision that you'll regret. This is your car. I wound up paying $3500 for a USED stock WRX transmission because I took it to a shop and they kept pressuring me. I had like 2 days to look for a transmission and I failed, so they charged me $1800 for one with 50k.

For one thing, that gasket and seal kit which will contain everything he needs for the block and heads is $303 at Subaru. I just bought one a couple months ago. I just saved you $110

MY advice would be to choke down the extra tab and get a 2.5 and drop in forged pistons(since I've seen stock one's go as early as 19k on here). They are right there when the block is de-headed. If he's worth his salt as a mechanic, 2 hours should be the most he charges to swap pistons. Then you can sell your brand new stock pistons on ebay. It'll be more, but you are already spending a lot of money for what you already had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement