Engine Knock - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2003, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

4WDrift is an unknown
Engine Knock

Heya all. I was driving Friday night......doing 40 constantly for about 10 mins (no stop and go) and then stopped in a parking lot to secure some items..... she was at idle for about 3-4 min. When I left the parking lot I took 1st gear up to about 4200 rpm with very very light throttle and went into second gear I put in about half throttle when the clutch was fully out, as soon as the boost came up I heard two loud knocks from the engine. I don't mean to be anal here, but I often drive with the stero off and the window down to listen to the engine, and have never heard anything of this sort!

Was the cylinder temp just soaring from the idling? And was sufficent to ignite the mixture early when the pressure went up? I am guessing the computer heard it and pulled the timing back or I would have heard a few more. I had just picked up a tank of gas 30 min prior, I thought it might have been crappy, but didn't hear anything today and was thinking about the time she spend idling before it happened.....sorry to drag on but I didn't like it one bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2003, 09:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
2 Knocks isn't a big deal... Anything could cause it, there are over 100 causes for det. If it keeps knocking more than that weekly I would look into the problem more.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-15-2003, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

4WDrift is an unknown
Thanks Kobiyashi. I was just curious if post-idle driving could case this. I haven't heard it since. Thanks