Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Engine hesitates between 3000/4000rpm (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/engine-hesitates-between-3000-4000rpm-1927/)

rjhhockey1 05-05-2003 09:32 PM

Engine hesitates between 3000/4000rpm

engine seems to hesitate, not smooth accelaration, 2003 wrx. less than 1000mi. on it. it seems to happen in 3th 0r 4th gear around 3500 to 4000rpm. any ideas?

Kobiyashi 05-06-2003 03:55 PM

The gas in your area sucks and your engine is knocking (willing to bet the house) ...

are you using 93 octane?

Is your car stock?

Where do you live?

fc735 05-06-2003 08:52 PM

aviation fuel!!!!!! with no cats......funfunfun
you ###### need to adjust your timing and fuel for the altitude youre runnin........utec bound? k is right.......local gas sucks! stock fuel/ign maps suck too......
Joey

rjhhockey1 05-06-2003 09:20 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kobiyashi [/i]
[B]The gas in your area sucks and your engine is knocking (willing to bet the house) ...

are you using 93 octane?

Is your car stock?

Where do you live? [/B][/QUOTE]

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Premium Gas 93 octane
brand new, stock
why hesitation only in 3rd gear at around 3500rpm, wouldn't it knock at other gears and different rpm?

rjhhockey1 05-06-2003 09:24 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by fc735 [/i]
[B]aviation fuel!!!!!! with no cats......funfunfun
you ###### need to adjust your timing and fuel for the altitude youre runnin........utec bound? k is right.......local gas sucks! stock fuel/ign maps suck too......
Joey [/B][/QUOTE]

it sounds more like a timing/fuel problem, should i have the dealer check maps performance?

fc735 05-07-2003 08:50 AM

eh...if its new, with no mods...hellz yeah. have it looked at. if youve touched it...they'll void the warr in a heartbeat. poss just need updated reflash....dunno. but i would hav eth edealer look at it....

Kobiyashi 05-07-2003 10:07 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rjhhockey1 [/i]
[B]

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Premium Gas 93 octane
brand new, stock
why hesitation only in 3rd gear at around 3500rpm, wouldn't it knock at other gears and different rpm? [/B][/QUOTE]

Only 3rd and up, your boost increases every gear (more pressure), so your boost wouldn't be as high in 1st or 2nd; which means higher temps. Try running better fuel and change to cooler plugs, that will help you out if your car is stock.

Hope this helps.

ScoobySnax 05-07-2003 02:12 PM

My car has done the same thing from new. I also got it form that same dealer in Grand Rapids.
As ive mentioned before, i dont think i trust those guys, go to the Muskegon dealership for all your dealer related stuff.
I bought a set of guages to go in the centre pod where the clock is, and they tried to void my warranty. I went to Muskegon, they are fine with the guages, the white dials and the silencer removal on the intake.
I told them i wanted an exhaust, they said no problem.
They want all the business they can get after buying a huge new building, so they pretty much bend over backwards to help you out.

rjhhockey1 05-08-2003 07:41 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ScoobySnax [/i]
[B]My car has done the same thing from new. I also got it form that same dealer in Grand Rapids.
As ive mentioned before, i dont think i trust those guys, go to the Muskegon dealership for all your dealer related stuff.
I bought a set of guages to go in the centre pod where the clock is, and they tried to void my warranty. I went to Muskegon, they are fine with the guages, the white dials and the silencer removal on the intake.
I told them i wanted an exhaust, they said no problem.
They want all the business they can get after buying a huge new building, so they pretty much bend over backwards to help you out. [/B][/QUOTE]

What did the dealer in Muskegon, find wrong with your hesitation problem. the dealer in Grand Rapids said they hooked the computer up and drove it and did not find any errors. they said they also did diagnostics on it in the garage and could not find a problem. They say its turbo lag, I know I know the differance between turbo lag and hesitation. Please let me know what the Muskegon Dealer found.

Kobiyashi 05-08-2003 08:56 PM

It's not turbo lag, get you some gauges and look at what happens, I could better help you with those readings... EGT.. A/F.. Boost

ScoobySnax 05-12-2003 02:55 PM

My problem is on a long run, say from GR to Ludington, about 120 miles, i get off the highway, stop at the off ramp, then pull away and the thing is so lumpy, hesitates, and the boost drops again, then picks up. This happens from just above idle to 5500rpm.
I have an auto meter boost guage it works great, very fast response and i can watch the boost rise to 14.5, then back right off to 8-10 psi exactly as the car hesitates. This happens part or full throttle. It then picks up again at around 4000rpm and stays at about 14.5- 14.7 psi.

Engine wise, car is standard apart from intake silencer removal.

Muskegon replaced the BOV and a coil pack. They recommended i put cooler plugs in it but i wasnt to tell them. Told ya they were cool with mods.

rjhhockey1 05-16-2003 10:18 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ScoobySnax [/i]
[B]My problem is on a long run, say from GR to Ludington, about 120 miles, i get off the highway, stop at the off ramp, then pull away and the thing is so lumpy, hesitates, and the boost drops again, then picks up. This happens from just above idle to 5500rpm.
I have an auto meter boost guage it works great, very fast response and i can watch the boost rise to 14.5, then back right off to 8-10 psi exactly as the car hesitates. This happens part or full throttle. It then picks up again at around 4000rpm and stays at about 14.5- 14.7 psi.

Engine wise, car is standard apart from intake silencer removal.

Muskegon replaced the BOV and a coil pack. They recommended i put cooler plugs in it but i wasnt to tell them. Told ya they were cool with mods. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for advice, I will schedule a service visit with the muskegon dealer, I'll let you know what they find.

ScoobySnax 05-18-2003 06:34 PM

No problem, lets meet up sometime, i drive to GR every day. 81 miles each way. Im foookin dead by friday night.
I think there a few Michigan people on the site now.

High_Revin 05-18-2003 08:46 PM

I have the exact same problem with engine hesitation. I don't know if it is the gas in my area or what?? The highest gas I can seem to find is 91 octane. I am not sure if this is the problem, but I am sure that it doesn't help. I have tried octance boosters, and I think they help, but it could be pyschological. I think I will be taking my car to the dealership to make sure everything is ok. It just seems that the engine is not living up to it's full expectations, it feels like something is holding it back.

What is the deal with installing cooler plugs? Could this be a problem. I am soo glad that I am not the only one who has this problem, there must be a common problem, and fortunetly there must be a solution. If we all put our heads together I am sure we can figure this out.

Here are the details of my car:
2002 WRX
42,000 KM or 26,500 Miles
Gas Octane Level = 91
No turbo gauge, but will be getting one soon.

ScoobySnax 05-20-2003 05:02 PM

Cooler plugs allow you to run higher boost if im correct. If not, im sure someone will correct me.