Electrical problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
Electrical problem

So my battery died and I was boosting car, now I have lost power to radio, fan, heated seats, and abs light is on. I checked all the fuses in the coin holder none are burnt out, checked the ones in the engine bay and the fuses seem fine, I'm
Not sure what else would cause these things to stop working. The fuses on my sub amp were burnt out so I'm assuming it has to be something like a relay?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm not sure about Canada, but here in the states boosting a car means your stealing it...
Look for a burnt wire somewhere...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
haha no stealing the car. i dont get how there is power to the fuses and still the things wont work.. unless maybe my ground is F***ed?
#4 Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Burned or bad ground wire...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
Ground wire to frame and to motor is good... Anyone else have any idea. The brand new battery I put in was almost right dead too..
#6 Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Car still starts runs and drives right? If so i would say gotta be some burnt wires somewhere. But if not it may be some kind of anti theft thing going on. Have you called subaru to see if they can give any insight?

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#7 Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
Yeah if I put a charger on it/ when the battery was new it started and ran fine. I could try calling them but I have a feeling they will just tell me bring it in so they can charge 115/hr or whatever it is
#8 Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
I just replaced the battery on mine last week and it was doing some weird stuff before. How old is your battery? It couldn't hurt to try to call them and ask if they have seen this before. I don't know man. It just sounds like the battery is dead and maybe you have a weak altenator or something and it just can't supply enough power to run everything. Try running the a/c. Its a power hog so if its not coming on that's one more clue. If you can get your hands on a multimeter you can try and see what the altenator is putting out. It may not even be the battery. It may be the alt.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#9 Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Batteries are having problems as of late. Take the battery back if it's new.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
i called the dealership they said more than likely the alternator is the problem, so i got one from a wrecker and put it in, didn't fix anything. the cobb says the alternator is putting out 11.4 or so volts, highest it went was 12.6 when driving it.. nowhere near the 13.9 it should be at, (right?). the battery is new but the problem was there with the old battery i just replaced, which is partially why i replaced the battery as well. i'm thinking i should just suck it up and take it in..
#11 Old 10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Unless you want to take a volt meter to everything and find the problem. Which is what they're going to do more than likely. They just might be able to find it quicker if your dealership has some good mechanics or the master mechanic is working on it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#12 Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

ProblematicWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boober909 View Post
So my battery died and I was boosting car, now I have lost power to radio, fan, heated seats, and abs light is on. I checked all the fuses in the coin holder none are burnt out, checked the ones in the engine bay and the fuses seem fine, I'm
Not sure what else would cause these things to stop working. The fuses on my sub amp were burnt out so I'm assuming it has to be something like a relay?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cam
I am a recent WRX buyer and I've been having lots of issues trying to keep it running but im still trying to stay positive about the buy she's a 02 wrx wagon and i'm now having this exact same problem! please help with what you're outcome was!!!
#13 Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

jimbo058 is an unknown
Similar issues have been resolved by replacing the ignition switch. Somewhere in there contacts are not making a connection causing loss of power to head-end unit, HVAC controls, and mid-dash display. It can be a real bummer if the windows are frosted over and no defroster control is available.