Subaru WRX Forum banner

Electrical problem

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jimbo058 
#1 ·
So my battery died and I was boosting car, now I have lost power to radio, fan, heated seats, and abs light is on. I checked all the fuses in the coin holder none are burnt out, checked the ones in the engine bay and the fuses seem fine, I'm
Not sure what else would cause these things to stop working. The fuses on my sub amp were burnt out so I'm assuming it has to be something like a relay?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cam

#6 ·
Car still starts runs and drives right? If so i would say gotta be some burnt wires somewhere. But if not it may be some kind of anti theft thing going on. Have you called subaru to see if they can give any insight?

#8 ·
I just replaced the battery on mine last week and it was doing some weird stuff before. How old is your battery? It couldn't hurt to try to call them and ask if they have seen this before. I don't know man. It just sounds like the battery is dead and maybe you have a weak altenator or something and it just can't supply enough power to run everything. Try running the a/c. Its a power hog so if its not coming on that's one more clue. If you can get your hands on a multimeter you can try and see what the altenator is putting out. It may not even be the battery. It may be the alt.

#10 ·
i called the dealership they said more than likely the alternator is the problem, so i got one from a wrecker and put it in, didn't fix anything. the cobb says the alternator is putting out 11.4 or so volts, highest it went was 12.6 when driving it.. nowhere near the 13.9 it should be at, (right?). the battery is new but the problem was there with the old battery i just replaced, which is partially why i replaced the battery as well. i'm thinking i should just suck it up and take it in..

#11 ·
Unless you want to take a volt meter to everything and find the problem. Which is what they're going to do more than likely. They just might be able to find it quicker if your dealership has some good mechanics or the master mechanic is working on it.

#13 ·
Similar issues have been resolved by replacing the ignition switch. Somewhere in there contacts are not making a connection causing loss of power to head-end unit, HVAC controls, and mid-dash display. It can be a real bummer if the windows are frosted over and no defroster control is available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.