Electrical problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rmadden is an unknown
Electrical problem

So I have a 02 WRX and replaced a bad battery about a little over a year ago. About six months ago I noticed that when I would unlock the car after sitting for several hours, the chirp would sound sort of sad like it didn't quite have full power. But I never had any other problems so I just ignored it. Now just in the past 2 months it started to have trouble starting sometimes. Initially when it was really really hot out, and only about once every three weeks. The first few times i just opened the hood and let it cool down and it would start again. But recently it doesn't start on its own at all any more. When you turn the key to the on position all the dash lights and everything come on so it gets some power at least. It does start when you jump it, and then runs fine as long as it stays on.
Because of this I don't think its an alternator problem, but I'm not certain. I pulled the starter and bench tested it and it works fine. The fact that it jumps leads me to believe battery again, but I'm worried that something is maybe causing the battery to drain ever so slowly, or its just not charging the battery when its running. Anyone have any ideas? Ignition maybe? Thanks so much!

-Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
A slow draining battery would lead me to believe it is the altenator. Get it tested to see that it is putting out the right voltage. Its either that, your battery connections are loose/corroded, or your ground (the connection on the frame of the vehicle) is loose/corroded.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Definitely check the battery terminals and the ground.

Mike