Electrical Problem... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BlueBooster is an unknown
Electrical Problem...

I have an issue with my 02 WRX...for some reason, my engine drains out my battery after a certain amount of time when im driving, (ABS light goes off, radio dies, and my radar turns on and off like crazy) bought a new battery and took the alternator into autozone for a test and they said its still good. Cleaned the corrosion around the positive cable and its still draining my battery. Has anyone came upon this issue yet? Could it be a bad wiring or a bad ground somewhere? i just recently change the power steering/alternator belt but somehow when i installed it i had to force it on, usually you don't have to force a belt on. Than after a while my engine began to get all dusty and thats when my battery began to drain out. Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

aeneas is an unknown
im not really an expert but that belt sounds like it could be it. maybe its not the right one and the alternator is not getting turned very well.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Khooper is an unknown
sounds like a bad battery , altough you had it check it is very possible that it has lost the ability to hold a charge , you get it tested when the charge is high it will pass the check test , but under a constant load the battery drains ........other possibilities is the battery cables are worn or corroded this will cause the battery to drain but not recharge , clean the battery cables at they spot where the mount to the battery terminals ....
post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Need to check both ends of the battery cables.Do a load test on the battery and buy a multimeter.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Need to check both ends of the battery cables.Do a load test on the battery and buy a multimeter.
both end like the postive and negative? or where the cables starts and ends?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

oh yeah another thing, right before all this situtation happen i had a check light engine light...it was P0171 - system too lean (bank 1)..i did some research on it and it said something fuel being too lean or dirty MAF (Mass Air Flow). could this be a cause of the problem too?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBooster View Post
both end like the postive and negative? or where the cables starts and ends?
Yes and yes.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
it drains WHILE driving? That would sound like a Alternator problem... Like, it's not charging while driving... WtF? Autozone don't know Shiat....

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement