2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

STravis is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
You bought a nightmare.
I'll shout out to some of the more experienced guys on here and see if they can come chime in.

Good luck..... Btw, your belts off
Yeah it is kind of a nightmare, but I got it for a really good deal.. I'm in the process of taking the front of the motor apart to check the timing to see if that's why I'm not getting an injector pulse. It's gonna be a slow build but hopefully I'll get it running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STravis View Post
I'm new to turbo motors and I'm not sure on some of the terms like "tgv" and some of the parts that go along with it but I'm trying to learn. It does have a ewg though and it has a manual boost controller.
Tgv's are between the intake manifold and head. They have little motors/sensors on each side with electrical plugs. In the first pic to the left of the dipstick under the intake manifold is a connector on one. What brand boost controller? I agree with randy that you bought a mess. If your not familiar you may be in over your head but, we will help you as best we can.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#18 Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

STravis is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Tgv's are between the intake manifold and head. They have little motors/sensors on each side with electrical plugs. In the first pic to the left of the dipstick under the intake manifold is a connector on one. What brand boost controller? I agree with randy that you bought a mess. If your not familiar you may be in over your head but, we will help you as best we can.
It's a hallman boost controller and a tial wastegate. I've done cam swaps on ls motors so I'm mechanically inclined but new to turbos. Thanks for all your help so far
#19 Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
We're neighbors hah, I'm in el paso. If your in the area, the subaru tech that works at the subaru dealership. He's done a lot of performance builds on the EJ's around here. His name is Brian Small, might want to look him up sometime.
#20 Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
#21 Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxdan is more helpful than not
pic #2 looks like your window washer fluid plug
#22 Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Pic #4 looks like it might be one of the breather hoses that connects one side of the engine to the other. On a stock car it connects to a long sideways "Y" shaped black metal pipe mounted on the top/front of the top mount intercooler (See my stock pic). Many people cut or re-route them for air oil separators or catch cans. Any chance you could get a short video of the area showing multiple angles?
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#23 Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

STravis is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Pic #4 looks like it might be one of the breather hoses that connects one side of the engine to the other. On a stock car it connects to a long sideways "Y" shaped black metal pipe mounted on the top/front of the top mount intercooler (See my stock pic). Many people cut or re-route them for air oil separators or catch cans. Any chance you could get a short video of the area showing multiple angles?
I don't have a top mount intercooler and I'm not sure where that "Y" is. Do you know where to re-route it to? Does it tie into the valve cover breathers? And I don't have a way to post a video, but I can e-mail one.
#24 Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anybody near you with an 02-07 wrx?
You need them to park next to you for a few hours.
This is by far one of the worst used engine bays I've ever seen.
Hope you didn't spend much over three grand for it man

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#25 Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
pic 4 kinda looks like the hose that would connect to the stock bov. Which side of the engine bay that hose on? Does it come up beside the throttle body? My engine looked similar when I had my intake manifold, tgv's, and intercooler off. At one point I thought I was in over my head but, Was just patient and tyler sent me some pics of his and it went back without a snag. I know its a different story though when you didnt take it apart. I agree with Randy. Find another wrx for refrence. Even if you gotta pay a stranger!
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#26 Old 10-05-2013, 12:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by STravis View Post
I don't have a top mount intercooler and I'm not sure where that "Y" is. Do you know where to re-route it to? Does it tie into the valve cover breathers? And I don't have a way to post a video, but I can e-mail one.
Hmm, do you mean you don't know where the "Y" is on your car or you can't find it on the pic I posted? You don't really need it anyway - you can make your own "T" connection. There should be a nipple (I believe you're right, they are technically called the valve cover breathers) on the left side of the engine near the top around the middle and another one on the right side near the top around the middle. You want to connect those two together with a length of heater hose with the same inner diameter as your stubby disconnected one. Somewhere along that, you want to run a "T" connection and connect that third line to the nipple on the intake turbo inlet tube that runs under the intake manifold. It's hard to explain, but if I was there, I could show you exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure we've correctly identified the hose...

John
#27 Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

STravis is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Anybody near you with an 02-07 wrx?
You need them to park next to you for a few hours.
This is by far one of the worst used engine bays I've ever seen.
Hope you didn't spend much over three grand for it man
I've been looking everywhere for somebody with a wrx I could compare it to. I think I would be able to figure it out if I did that. And it looks worse in the pictures than it really is. I took some stuff out to get that deep into the motor.
#28 Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

STravis is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
pic 4 kinda looks like the hose that would connect to the stock bov. Which side of the engine bay that hose on? Does it come up beside the throttle body? My engine looked similar when I had my intake manifold, tgv's, and intercooler off. At one point I thought I was in over my head but, Was just patient and tyler sent me some pics of his and it went back without a snag. I know its a different story though when you didnt take it apart. I agree with Randy. Find another wrx for refrence. Even if you gotta pay a stranger!
The hose in pic 4 comes up out of a "T" that comes out of the block. The other line on the "T" goes to the perrin intake before the turbo.
#29 Old 10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sounds like your unconnected open end just needs to connect to a nipple on the opposite side of the block. You could probably just run a straight line all the way across.

John
#30 Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Went out and looked at mine. I see that hose and the tee but can't tell where it goes without taking my top mount intercooler off.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!