Subaru WRX Forum banner

EJ207 camshaft position sensor code

15K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 · (Edited)
Getting this P0356 camshaft position sensor code on my EJ207. It's on Sensor B circuit (Bank 1).

I'm getting this code intermittent, upon hot restarts and stopped on slight inclines, but it goes away when the rpms increase.

I know there are 3 cam position sensors on the EJ207, one at the front and 2 at the rear. The rear are special order JDM items and the front one is the same as an '02 WRX camshaft pos sensor.

I pulled the front sensor to clean it (see picture) but still get the intermittent code.

Does anyone know if Sensor B circuit (Bank 1) is the front or rear cam position sensor?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
At the rear of the cylinder head where the camshaft sensor is, its on a bracket, just follow the wires up and youll find a couple of multiplugs. Unplug them and give a spray of WD40. There is a sensor on the back of the passenger side head aswell as the one at the front of the engine.

ive seen a few ppl with this code and all the culprit was water in the connectors.

as for your question, i believe its one of the rear cam sensors and the part# are (i think) 22056AA062 and 22056AA091. just not sure which is which.

#3 ·
From my research so far, there are 3 cam position sensors on an EJ207. The code I'm getting is for the driver's side rear sensor. The Subaru P/N is: 22056AA091

The JDM rear sensors are not available in Canada and are a special import from Japan. The front sensor is the same from a 02 WRX.

With a little help from my friend @psinuse I'm getting a rear cam positions sensor for my JDM EJ207 now, and will install it when it arrives.

This is what it looks like:

Attachments

#4 ·
To close off this thread, this turned out to be a coolant lead from the lower hose of the engine coolant filler tank. Only when hot the hose would leak and drip down across the AVCS wiring and pool at the back of the engine in a recess where the rear cam position sensor is.

I replaced the lower hose and the tank itself with a newer poly item.

So that code (P0356 camshaft position sensorB circuit Bank 1) was for a passenger-side rear cam position sensor after all.

Identifying it was a pain because the rear cam position sensors are under the fuel rail guards on both side and they are a pain to get at.

It turned out Ok though, because I spotted the driver's side AVCS banjo bolt weeping oil when I was in there and I got to replace the copper crush washers to it as well, so all is now good.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.