ECU "relearning"? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
ECU "relearning"?

I swapped out headlight bulbs Saturday which involved taking out the battery. I only drove the car about 3 miles after that Saturday evening to check out the new lights and buy gas. Did not drive it at all Sunday. Yesterday I drove to work, seemed normal on the morning commute, fairly tame in the rain but one high speed pass which seemed fine. Yesterday afternoon I was running a couple errands and it seemed soft on the low end, like slower to pull from around 2 grand up to 3 but then real quick from 3 on up, even to redline a few times. I logged most of the drive home on the AP and hit 14.3 lb of boost on one spirited acceleration, not what I would consider WOT, though. Still seemed that way on the way in to the gym and work this morning. I can see the revs climb, but it seems like it's not building boost, then whoosh, away it goes. No CEL, no funny noises.

This is an 06 WRX with a VF39 and supporting mods, Clark Turner e-tune, 4eat, just turned over 30k miles. It's only been 65 miles since I took the battery out. My thinking is this: either all of a sudden something has come loose and I've developed a vacuum leak, or my tranny has all of a sudden started slipping, or my ECU is relearning after I disconnected my battery. I recall that after I went to stage 1 and then stage 2 that it just seemed to get better as I drove it, although I don't recall that quite as markedly when I did the VF39 swap. So does this sound like it's just the ECU and all will be swell in a couple more days, or do I need to call my friendly mech and start trouble shooting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't think it's anything drastic. The ECU naturally adjusts to your driving style. I notice this every time I get in my buddy's STi. I can barely drive the thing for like 3 blocks until it realizes I actually use the gas petal unlike him. Then it's happy. I think you just hadn't gotten on it in a while since it was wet and when you did, it wasn't sure you really wanted to. Go out and beat on it, it'll remember that you like it that way

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 21 Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I will go out and drive it like it's supposed to be driven, then, and see if it gets happy again.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Okay, it's been a week and a half and it still doesn't feel right. I called my mech tonight and described it and he said it sounded like I had lost my reflash; the thought had entered my mind but since it wasn't a real time flash I dismissed it. Just for grins I reflashed my VF39 map and then took it out and beat on it. I made several WOT runs and maxxed out at 12.9 lb, so there's definitely a problem. I called him back and he said it could be 1) a voltage/ground issue and to clean my terminals real well or 2) a dirty MAFS from my filter. It's an Accel Cool Blue and I'm pretty sure it's preoiled, but it didn't seem near as sticky as the K&Ns I've used on my bikes. I know in the Boxster world people who used K&Ns were forever having MAFS issues but I hadn't seen that on the Subie boards.

So, does anyone have experience with rapid onset boost loss because of cruddy terminals or a dirty MAFS? This sucks majorly.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You using an AP to flash it ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #6 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Yeah. When I reflashed it only took about 2 seconds so I'm pretty sure the map didn't get erased when I disconnected the battery.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
I also tightened all the hose clamps last night and checked for loose hoses, nada. I took it out after that and logged some WOT runs and maxed at 11.5 lb, so I'm guessing it's actually a vacuum leak somewhere that is getting progressively worse. How would I locate a small vacuum leak?
post #8 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Garage
MAF sensor crapping out, MAF sensor dirty, uppipe gasket leak, turbo fried usually due to oil starvation, compression starting to degrade (bye bye motor). My thoughts.

post #9 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Stop thinking thoughts like "bye bye motor". It only has 30k miles on it. I cleaned the MAFS last night after the last run I logged. I didn't log this morning on the way to the gym which is when I can make my WOT runs. Between the gym and the office in stop and go traffic I did log and think I might have seen 6 lb, but there's nowhere on the morning commute to really mash the gas. Maybe tonight on the way home.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Garage
Eh, I kind of listed that in order of likihood. Good luck.

Oh, and I'm kind of leaving out the "your tuner's an idiot" answer but it's also possible. No disrespect intended.

post #11 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You sure you are doing a "reflash" as opposed to a realtime flash ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Positive.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd bet on a vacuum leak.... Have you played with the TMIC lately or maybe the BPV?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #14 of 21 Old 12-02-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
No. When I replaced my headlight bulbs I removed the battery and the intake scoop, but didn't touch the IC or the BPV. As a side note, the BPV hose is partially mashed by the throttle, which is apparently pretty common with the Gimmick inlet hose. I thought that might have the potential to cause some spiking, but it's been that way since we did the turbo swap a couple of months ago.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Okay, problem solved. I finally got a chance to take off the IC and heat shield and found that the actuator arm had come loose from the wastegate. New circlip and all is right with the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement