This doesnt sound good...... Mechanic advice? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you can't feel it in the clutch then it's probably not rod knock.... but then again it sounds like it is since it increases with RPM....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I've never felt rod knock thru the clutch.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Strange.... I did in my DSM and I've felt it in a couple Speeds.

Maybe because of motor/tranny mounts on my cars...

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #19 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Maybe valve tap then that is excessively loud for valves tap. The triangle part really wasn't even spinning in your video either. So, you might be onto something there. You might just need the timing belts, all your pulleys changed, and possibly your valve lash reset. I know that wagon racer used to say that after so many miles the valve lash needs re-done or it can get a bit noisey under the hood/hurt the engine from the lash being so off.
the triangle part is the ac compressor,if his ac is not on it will not spin.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Sounds like rod knock to me.

This was my last engine before it was torn down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeyJLvm3Zk8

Is the sound RPM dependent? Does it change when you rev?
yes the noise does get faster and a little bit louder when she is under higher rpm. looking at your video was that shot from a dead cold start? i always thought if you had rod knock it would always be there (the sound of knock) at all times. in my case it takes 10 mins then the noise is there. im holding boost fine and not losing or burning oil. a few of my buddys with high hp stis said that it still could be rod knock b/c once it warms up the oil is heated up(same concept if u try to shift your car on a real cold day,it gets better when its warmed up).im throwing no codes and everything that we can check out via the cobb ap turns out fine. being that this is clearly a mechanical issue its hard to find out whats wrong b/c there are no codes that would be throw on this type of issue.
any thoughts ?
post #21 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex2002 View Post
yes the noise does get faster and a little bit louder when she is under higher rpm. looking at your video was that shot from a dead cold start? i always thought if you had rod knock it would always be there (the sound of knock) at all times. in my case it takes 10 mins then the noise is there. im holding boost fine and not losing or burning oil. a few of my buddys with high hp stis said that it still could be rod knock b/c once it warms up the oil is heated up(same concept if u try to shift your car on a real cold day,it gets better when its warmed up).im throwing no codes and everything that we can check out via the cobb ap turns out fine. being that this is clearly a mechanical issue its hard to find out whats wrong b/c there are no codes that would be throw on this type of issue.
any thoughts ?
Yes, mine was a cold start, however in my case I was only experiencing rod knock on cold starts until oil pressure built up. It started as barely audible but quickly got incredibly loud.

My suggestion is to start watching Youtube videos with piston slap, rod knock, spun bearings, etc and see if any of those sound similar to yours.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Update:
After changing my plugs the knocking noise went away. The plug the was closest to the knocking noise was the one in the worst shape.

I did a temp fix on the whining noise, just disconnected the belt off of the ac compressor.
After removing the ac belt tentionor bracket I noticed the bearings in the tentionor are shot so gonna go for the simple fix by replacing this before replacing the compressor unit.

Besides for that she purrs like a kitten again.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Great to hear chuck, maybe you can make the meet this year if we do one

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement