Subaru WRX Forum banner

This doesnt sound good...... Mechanic advice?

4K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
So this sound just started a few days ago and rather than trying to explain it I did it the easiest way possible, I uploaded it!

Sorry bout the shaky camera, I was going more for sound than video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hKb5EwOqNx4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#2 ·
i have the same exact noise,check out my vid. i cant seem the figure out the issue either, my tuner said it could be "rod knock" or piston slap,but its strange bc i never race or drive her hard. hopefully someone else can chime in on here and help out,b/c im at the point to drop in a sti block but if its a simple fix i would rather fix than swap

#6 ·
No Paul. It just started whining like that.
My guess it might be the refridge unit going??
The knocking sounds like its coming from the wastegate???

I'm kinda worried,I drive this to work everyday and I don't wanna do more damage if any has been done.

#9 ·
Ask @turmic on valve tap.

^^^^
where can i get hold of him?

i cant feel anything in the clutch. i am due for a timing belt change. my car has about 156k miles on her.my noise is only coming from the head area closest to the front of the car,near the battery. ive been running stage two cobb street tune for over a year with no problems,but now im running into this. i just recently did an oil change and swapped a court with Lucas to hope that would fix the problem but no luck

#10 ·
I have around 132K on it. As soon as I get my income tax back Im gonna have my mechanic do my timing belt/water pump.
I dont feel anything in the clutch.
Gonna check around the net some and see if anyone has a similar problem. The whining noise is getting on my nerves.

#20 ·
yes the noise does get faster and a little bit louder when she is under higher rpm. looking at your video was that shot from a dead cold start? i always thought if you had rod knock it would always be there (the sound of knock) at all times. in my case it takes 10 mins then the noise is there. im holding boost fine and not losing or burning oil. a few of my buddys with high hp stis said that it still could be rod knock b/c once it warms up the oil is heated up(same concept if u try to shift your car on a real cold day,it gets better when its warmed up).im throwing no codes and everything that we can check out via the cobb ap turns out fine. being that this is clearly a mechanical issue its hard to find out whats wrong b/c there are no codes that would be throw on this type of issue.
any thoughts ?

#12 ·
Chuck: Yours sounds more like something is clunking inside the turbo its self (dead turbo) or heads. Not a deep RPM clunk. The whining has me stumped. Is your performance hindered? Even when not pushing it?

Rex2002: Yours sounds like you have a rod bearing going. Odd that its taking a while for it show up. But, it sounds like your short block is not going to last. Piston slap doesn't normally happen when warmed up unless you have some shit forged pistons. That being the case you'd have piston slap all the time and it would get less noisy when warmed up. I've had some rough CP pistons once and man does piston slap really get annoying until you're warmed up.

#13 ·
No performance issues that I can tell. The whining might be the pulley bearings going in the refridge unit, from what I've read online the triangle part in the middle of the pulley should spin freely when the engine is off and I tried mine and it spins a bit and then seems to catch and spin again. The knock is faint when the hood is down, I Cant hear it knock when I'm driving.

#14 ·
Maybe valve tap then that is excessively loud for valves tap. The triangle part really wasn't even spinning in your video either. So, you might be onto something there. You might just need the timing belts, all your pulleys changed, and possibly your valve lash reset. I know that wagon racer used to say that after so many miles the valve lash needs re-done or it can get a bit noisey under the hood/hurt the engine from the lash being so off.

#22 ·
Update:
After changing my plugs the knocking noise went away. The plug the was closest to the knocking noise was the one in the worst shape.

I did a temp fix on the whining noise, just disconnected the belt off of the ac compressor.
After removing the ac belt tentionor bracket I noticed the bearings in the tentionor are shot so gonna go for the simple fix by replacing this before replacing the compressor unit.

Besides for that she purrs like a kitten again. :rocks:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.