Dasbboard rattle...makin' me NUTS! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2004, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

skeezix is an unknown
Dasbboard rattle...makin' me NUTS!

I have this used 04 STI I bought. It seems to have developed this LOUD rattle, comes and goes, happens on bumps/rough road. I *think* I have it localized to somewhere around the clock module on the dash, you know, where an instrument cluster would go, and it SEEMS like this is removable. Before I pay somebody to yank it and try and find the problem (the dealer is sick of me --tranny waranteed, f. drivers wheelbearing, seatcover zipper, wheel-well lining tabs broke--, and I just don't sense I am going to get anyone's attention on this one), well, i'd LIKE to look myself.
Anybody have a method to pop this thing w/o marring it all up? I am aware a big ol' screwdriver isn't the answer.
Anybody have a decent suggestion?

regards,

skeezix

I participate in traffic; traffic no longer 'happens' to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

ox_engr is an unknown
I have a dash board rattle in my 03 as well, but i haven't located it like you. i wonder if anyone else has got this.
#3 Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Joe Boxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Joe Boxer
can't say i have had that issue. it may be a loose wire/coupler banging againts the underdash. i'd say pop the clock out, check to see what it is...whether it's something or not you should put some guages there while you have it out.

- joey
#4 Old 06-23-2004, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

lobsterhat is an unknown
I think there is an article on Scoobymods regarding this, I guess (haven't seen with my own eyes) the strip of dash right next to the windshield is held on with some plastic clips, which get a little loose, and start rattling. The suggestion was to take those clips out and glue them or tape them to prevent the rattle.

256 WHP on Mustang dyno that measures Stockers at 167.
#5 Old 06-23-2004, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Quote:
Originally posted by lobsterhat
I think there is an article on Scoobymods regarding this, I guess (haven't seen with my own eyes) the strip of dash right next to the windshield is held on with some plastic clips, which get a little loose, and start rattling. The suggestion was to take those clips out and glue them or tape them to prevent the rattle.
The man is right. You can also put foam in between there.
And whoever had that STi before you, drove the hell out of it.
#6 Old 06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

skeezix is an unknown
While driving i held down that strip between the dash and window, where defrost air blows...; and whereas yes, there's a general minor rattling here (as there was on my last 04 WRX, seems to be a standard design flaw..), this one isn't that. Held it down firm while driving over bumps just to eliminate that possibility.

My question was does anybody know how to *pop that center console**? A technique? Is it just clipped to the dash, or does one need to like remove the CD changer and part of the console to get at screws up in the dash?? Don't want to start prying at something that is screwed on...

This rattle, which doesn't happen ALL the time (which makes me nuts all by itself, the intermittantness of it) is REALLY loud.

And, as it were, my alarm guy, whom during lunch I scheduled to install an alarm on Fri (new UNGO w/ nice LED fob), had a quick look at it; after a brief look he said he thinks it's NOT clipped on, but needs to be loosened from the dash from underneath (just my luck).

Aaah. It it's not one thing its another...i'll keep this thread posted on what he finds. Carphonics in Boise ID has this utter master, a Peruvian guy Emilio, just a master at alarms, stereos, and consequently dashes/panels/interiors. If it can be found he'll find it...

cheers, and thanks for the replies,

skeezix

#7 Old 06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Just a flat head screw driver wrapped in tape will pop that thing up.

Che
#8 Old 06-23-2004, 04:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Outrider is an unknown
Try Dynamat to quiet the rattling, it's worked on everything I've ever tried it on.
#9 Old 06-23-2004, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

skeezix is an unknown
Hey --the screwdriver tip was what i was lookin' for. Worked like a charm. Popped the panel, popped the clock, barge-cemented points of cork between the housing and clock. Should do the trick for THAT. There was clock-housing rattle for sure....

But the major rattle is still there; w/o panel, I took a ride on a nice washboarded road. I sense during the cooler PM this rattle subsides somewhat; in the PM, it doesn't happen on mere rough road, whereas during the hot day it was more present.....but the rattle WAS present on bumps, and that washboard road; one interesting observation is it happens more when the driver's side hits a bump.

Here's where it gets intertesting: I use my hand to dampen various components, the defrost strip between dash and window. Natch. THEN I *press down/hug* the instrument panel hump. Washboards and all, the *rattle goes away*. Hmmm...I press DOWN on the hump. No rattle. I press on OUTSIDE of hump, between hump and driver window. Rattle subsides somewhat. I press down INSIDE of hump, right side, between hump and center of car. Rattle disappears. I whack on same right side of hump w/ fist. Rattle rattle...

Whatever the hell is loose, it's under that hump, and on the inside.....oh, goody. I sense can-of-worms/certainly beyond MY talents. I'm a simple wan analyst, NOT a mechanic/dash expert.

Choices? Pay $$$ per hour to have someone familiar w/ interiors tear dash out, try and isolate...what? Some loose tab? A cable bundle a bit too close to dash housing? A loose cable bundle stay? A fastener that's lost it's spring?? Hoo boy. When it's rattling, its *loud*. Then again, this isn't a car anybody buys for silence. I'da bought the Volvo series 60 for utter quiet. A Faustian bargain....

Or I can live with it...this is a highway car, bought for fast roadtrips on interstate/highways, won't be touching dirt much....

Any interior-installer wonks hazard a guess here?

regards,

skeezix