Cruise Control Turning Off - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-27-2006, 05:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

StealthSTi is an unknown
Cruise Control Turning Off

Hey y'all, I have a problem with my cruise control I'm hoping someone can help me with.
I recently drove from Oregon to Georgia. While on the drive, my cruise control would turn off on its own after 4+ straight hours of driving. This is on my '04 STi. I suspect the motor is getting hot considering its location right next to the turbo, however I'm just guessing. I haven't had time to get it into the dealer to have it looked at, so I'm hoping to get some advice here. It did it to me a handful of times on the drive and recently did it to me again driving from Georgia to Oklahoma. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2006, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
Has it turned off after the same amount of time each time? If so it may be normal.
#3 Old 02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
Two Possible Reasons:
1. There is a recall on: MY04 Cruise Control Clip

How do I know this? Because I got a letter in the mail saying that there is. You can also find out at www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

2. Cruise Control is limited to 90 MPH.

Were you speeding?
Haha... Subaru says, "No speeding!"
#4 Old 02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

StealthSTi is an unknown
Thanks for the input. No, I haven't noticed if it turns off after a specific amount of time. I'll have to start paying attention. That might make sense if I was able to turn it right back on. But when I try to do that it will stay on for only a few minutes and then turn itself off again which leads me to believe it's a heat issue. And no, haha, I'm not trying to set it above 90mph (as much as I would like to driving through the midwest). I have it set anywhere from 65-80mph. As for the recall, I believe it did NOT apply to the 2004 STi. And the recall I believe said that the cruise control would stick the throttle in place. I'm having the opposite problem: it won't hold it in place.
#5 Old 03-01-2006, 11:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
You're going to have to start at the cruise control switch and start tracing wires. From the CC switch the wires go in to your ECU than to supporting switches and relays. You've got a brake switch, clutch switch, vehicle speed sensor (not wheel speed sensor), electric throttle control relay(times two). Any of these could be the problem when its intermittent like you're describing. There is also a yellow/red wire from your main relay that may cause the issue. Happy Hunting!!

I agree though that your problem is not the one detailed in the recall.