Cruise Control - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Cruise Control

So I have never had the cruise control working in my car since I bought it. The guy I bought it from put on TuboXS exhaust. He told me it went out when he put the exhaust on it. Could that be it? And how can I get it working again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

robert.lshoc is an unknown
do you have a cel on if it is the cruise wont work.
#3 Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
So the cruise wont work at all if I have a CEL?
#4 Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Usually when a CEL comes up the CEL light and the cruise control will come on. Which in turn will disable your cruise control.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Thats crap. I guess I wont be having cruise control for a while.
#6 Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well the best bet is to find out what that CEL is for. It could be something harmful to your engine. Autozone and a few other places can/will read the code for free.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Find a buddy with a tactrix cable and have them disable the CEL.

Can you use an AP to clear CEL's on a car it's not married to? If you can, you can do that too.

Edit: But like New said, make sure it's a CEL related to the exhaust, it'll come up as a catalyst low input or something like that (I'm assuming full TBE), and then clear it. The only thing that worries me is the fact that it has a CEL from the exhaust, which would only happen if he replaced the downpipe. Any tuner would disable that CEL, so it may not be tuned for the DP? Not a HUGE issue for the 02, but you should still look at getting tuned if it isn't.

-Chris
#8 Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM

Chris is pretty much right about that. But another thing is (from experience) is that my 2005 WRX with a 4EAT is running a full catless TBE with a CEL but the cruise still works. I know that the CLE is from being catless and w/out a tune. But at the same time its the wifes car, its an automatic, and its not driven near as hard as my car (and we are maybe thinking about upgrading hers to a Legacy or something bigger).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Back to the OP.....

Check the switch on the clutch pedal. That's often the cause of not having cruise control. Cruise should still work with a CEL. If it is combined with a flashing cruise light, that indicates the engine is in limp mode.

Yes you can read and clear codes with an AP, on any OBDII subaru.
#10 Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
What am I checking on the switch on the clutch pedal?

And I had CELs but I changed to a cobb intake and put a spacer on my O2 sensor so Im going to see if that will do for my CELs
#11 Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Make sure it's plugged in and that the button moves in and out freely. It's been a while since I've been under there, so I forget which switch is which. One's a safety switch for starting the car, the other kicks it out of cruise control when you shift.
#12 Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Ohh... So if that switch is bad, the whole cruise control is shot?
#13 Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Well, if the car's CC module thinks the clutch is in, it won't engage. Also, I wonder if he accidentally unplugged or shorted something replacing the exhaust? There's a CC solenoid at the throttle body, but I don't know if any of those wires go anywhere close to the exhaust system.

#14 Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Ok. Well while my CEL was off, my cruise didnt work...and now that my CEL is on again, still wont work. So im going to guess its the switch...? And I looked under there today, and theres two on the clutch pedal, which on is it...And how would someone go about diagnosing it?
#15 Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

I had to replace a clutch master cylinder today, so I was under there and I'm pretty sure it's the blue (nearest) one. Make sure it's plugged in, that the button moves freely, that the plug that pushes it in, is in place. If you have to replace it, I can't imagine it costs more that $10 from Subaru. It's just two wires, so you can unplug it and jumper the plug (from harness) and see if cruise works. I jumper the other one so I can use the starter without the clutch, which is handy should you ever have engine problems and need to move the car with the starter (or have no clutch !)

Now if it's not that switch, you should make sure everything is plugged in properly on the cruise control unit under the hood, check the fuse, the throttle cable etc. I have seen a few cars come through the shop that the clutch switch was the problem (stuck button)