Cracked Wheel!!!!!!!!1 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-29-2003, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

vindog2003 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to vindog2003
Cracked Wheel!!!!!!!!1

i have the 5 spoke subaru alloy 17" wheels, the dealership when i bought the car sent them to be chromed. I was washing my car this weekend and notived a crack, at first i thought it was the chrome, i brought it to the dealership today and the said it is cracked all the way through on one of the spokes and half way on another, and 2 different spots on 2 other wheels. They want to blame it on the tire place that put the tires on the rims to get out of liability. They even wanted me to sign a paper saying that they are not liable when i leave the dealership. I did not sign it, and after talking with them a little they deciede to keep it and let a subaru rep look at it tommorow, they even gave me a car to drive. Please help me with any information on how to fix my problem with them, or if anyone has had any trouble with thier stock wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2004, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

TheRex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TheRex
don't ever put chrome wheels on a wrx. your car is a rally car, not a bling-bling pimp machine.

also, the last thing you want to do is leave the dealership or the tire place without reaching an agreement. A wheel is hard to crack all the way through. Just be persistent and don't give in. If the dealership won't budge, called Subaru of America before you reach any type of deal that prevents them from being liable.
#3 Old 01-20-2004, 02:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

ox_engr is an unknown
examine the mounting face of your wheel. look for where the rust is located .if there are obvious rings around the mounting holes on the rim or the rust not ringed closer to the bore than the mount face diameter on the wheel, both are obvious causes of the crack.

the first mentioned ring around the bolt holes is caused by tinnerman clips not being removed prior to installation. This is the problem of the last person to install the wheels prior to the crack occuring. the second is the case of manufacturing of the mounting face being convex, not concave. This is a wheel manufacturer (subaru liability)