Coolant Smell - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

boostmaniac is an unknown
Coolant Smell

Wut up, need some help. I seem to have a small coolant smell and it seems to be associated to when i turn my heat on. Could there potentially be a relation wit these two?
106k mi, 3 in TBE, Perrin Turbo Inlet/Ram Air, MBC, Perrin Y-Pipe.

boostin 16psi, no tuning, possibly bad? i kno i need a AP bad and i want tuning.. just no $$$

just replaced Radiator hoses to Perrin hoses, no leaks around those hoses. Just seems to be a small leak like not visible and very small, and sometimes it doesnt even happen. Im stumped. takin it down to the shop soon so if u guys cant help im sure ill find it out. just want some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
The smell is likely due to your spiling some coolant onto the header while changing the radiator hoses. If not, that is, the smell is definitely inside the car, the coolant actually flows through the heater core unit inside the car. So, i would check for wet spots on you carpet or behind the radio.
Hope this helps

drive = freedom
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
heater core leaking?

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #4 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Yep check the very front of your carpets both passenger and driver, if they are soaked it looks like you will need a new heater core. Z

12.7 @ 109
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

dak287 is an unknown
are you loosing coolant? if not its nothin prob. just in your head. maybe burning off the motor if any was spilled.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Make sure you check ALL coolant lines. I had a small leak from the coolant return line on the turbo, couldn't find it until it broke. It was caused by the shop it was at over tightening the clamp. Once it popped, it was obvious why the car was overheating.

One question, have you replaced the timing belt and water pump recently? If not, you could have coolant boiling off because it isn't flowing through the system properly.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #7 of 8 Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkky00245 View Post
Many people start with a bottled sauce and doctor it up. mmonice sell AOC Gold You can cut the thickness (bottled sauces are usually too thick) and boost the spice fairly easily. My favorite bottled sauce is Maull's, out of St. Louis, and here are some ideas on how to doctor it. Start by simmering a bottle of sauce over low heat. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cider vinegar or rice vinegar. Or put in the same amount of beer.AOC power leveling A lot of people use Pepsi, which gives a sweet, caramel flavor. Add a tablespoon of granulated or fresh garlic. Throw in a little chili powder for an outdoorsy quality. Maybe add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.Age of Conan Gold A tablespoon of butter or prepared mustard tastes good, too. And you'd be surprised by how many sauces have a little chocolate in them. Buy AOC Gold
Oh, Mr. MOSC ^^

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I had a seemingly major coolant leak that I could not find for the life of me. Turns out it was at the point where the coolant line entered the cylinder bank/head on the passenger side. Once we actually got a good look at it, it was an easy fix. GL

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement