Coolant Leak - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

4WDrift is an unknown
Coolant Leak

This might be a bit vauge, but I have a coolant leak comming from the drivers front area of my 03 sedan. I have ruled out the obvious, like the radiator and overflow upper and lower hoses (which are brand new)...but I have no idea of the source, because it's being blown back onto the heat shield and the side of the oil pan, drivers side. None of the small hoses under there are obviously leaking or damaged, block drain plugs look fine.

Just a probe for ideas of where else to look? The leak will drain the overflow in 48 hours. I have had a coolant smell for about 18 months now, but never had to start topping off the tank until the last month or so.

Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2009, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
What about the actuall overflow container? There could be a hole in it on the bottom...
#3 Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Marne_Aeok is an unknown
i literally JUST went thru this. park the car. open the hood. have someone sit out front looking at engine bay. rev the car to 3500 rpm. keep it there for about a min

i guarantee your gonna see coolant start flying up outta everywhere. mine it was the top part of the radiator >_<
#4 Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
did you reuse the old oem hose clamps? If so, that might be where your leak is coming from (under load, and not necessarily revving while sitting still). Just a guess though...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#5 Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

4WDrift is an unknown
I have removed the skid plate and raised her to the point I could slide under...and had someone rev the engine while I peered just under the front drivers. I think sleepr is right and it's only leaking under a load because I could not see anything start to drip or spray coolant, over a minute revving. I can tell you this; it is NOT the radiator leaking, the overflow is not leaking (I have removed and checked it).

It's so frustrating because the coolant gets blown all over while driving and finding the source is impossible. --If the water pump were leaking would I see coolant at the front cover?-- (then blown all over hell from there back)? It's not a LOT of coolant leaking but enough it's starting to add up to a mess under there.

I did reuse the old clamps and I'm going to re-set the lower hose's clamps today, but I had this problem long before I replaced the hoses.

Thanks for the help.
#6 Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

4WDrift is an unknown
I still cannot nail down the location of the leak. I parked on a downhill slope earlier (nose down) and she let out quite a bit of coolant which has not happened before...maybe a quarter or half cups worth. I just cannot get into a position to look around the exhaust under there to locate the leak.

Any opinions on it being the water pump leaking?...and the difficulty of replacing it?
#7 Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Water pump is located in the area you are talking about, it's def a possibility if it looks like it's coming from under the timing belt cover. It's not that difficult of a removal if you have the balls to have the timing belt loose while doing it... You have to make sure you don't move any of the gears when you go to put it back in.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#8 Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I know you mentioned that you checked the two smaller bypass hoses that are attached to the bottom of the pump, but did you check where they connect on the other end (to hard lines I think)? (see top right of the picture) Your latest description makes it sound like the leak is somehow connected to the pressure change that happens when the thermostat opens and/or closes...sorry just want to make sure of the "easy" stuff before you have to "crack" the timing belt cover

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#9 Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

gaz123 is an unknown
waterpumps usually start to leak when the timing belts are changed, my guess is the top radiator hose. ive had this problem before, i stripped my car of anything to do with coolant and i was playing with the hoses while my friend inspected the water pump and i noticed a small slit inside the hose on the first bend. apparently this is quite common, gud luck buddy

i hear the grim reaper tops out at 140
#10 Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

belacane is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marne_Aeok View Post
i literally JUST went thru this. park the car. open the hood. have someone sit out front looking at engine bay. rev the car to 3500 rpm. keep it there for about a min

i guarantee your gonna see coolant start flying up outta everywhere. mine it was the top part of the radiator >_<

Bringing this back from the dead to say, THANKS YOU! for this. I was having the same problem and with your tip found a nice little crack at the top part as well.

Thanks again!! Thumbs Up
#11 Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

comandobrando2007 is an unknown
leak

i am having the same problem now as well. you are saying that you found a crack in the hose on top of the radiator? I got home today and there was smoke coming out of my engine bay (coolant burning off) and coolant sprayed in the engine bay.

I have an 02 wrx (stock) 60k miles
#12 Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by comandobrando2007 View Post
i am having the same problem now as well. you are saying that you found a crack in the hose on top of the radiator? I got home today and there was smoke coming out of my engine bay (coolant burning off) and coolant sprayed in the engine bay.

I have an 02 wrx (stock) 60k miles
Also chk the top of the radiator (where the plastic meets the metal core)

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Also chk the top of the radiator (where the plastic meets the metal core)
That's where mine was leaking at. It starts off small and will eventually get bigger.
Best to take care of while your ahead if thats where its coming from. Mine was small then eventually I ended up on the side of the road overheating. I replaced with a aluminium one and no problems since.

Like you said though,I had coolant all over my engine and smelled coolant but never seen it leak.
Good luck man. Hope this helps ya out.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
Rebuild in progress....

Chuck.