Coolant leak 2007 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

chickenwingo is an unknown
Coolant leak 2007 wrx

Hey guys I've been having a slow coolant leak on my 2007 WRX. Whenever the tank is full it will leak down to about 1/10 the way and stop. After it has done this leak it will stop and no other problems will arise until I fill the reservoir back up. Here are some pictures of where it leaks, and it seems to be the entire top of the core. My car was in a wreck and the repair shop replaced the radiator. It started leaking about a year after the repairs. My questions is where to go from here. Should I just replace everything? Here are some pictures sorry that they are HUGE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2013, 05:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Do yourself a favor and spend a couple hundred bucks on an aluminum radiator and some silicone hoses. You won't be bothered any more by those pesky leaks and you'll gain a little under-hood bling at the same time

I put a Koyo radiator in my 07 WRX as a preventative measure so I wouldn't have to deal with any leaks from the plastic end tanks which, unfortunately, is a fairly common issue. The biggest obstacle was having to go to the hardware store for some metric bolts to attach the plastic fan shrouds to the core, but I already knew that would be an issue so I was prepared - the stock hardware is self-tapping since it goes into plastic. Everything else fit perfectly and things are slightly cooler.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to replace some of those smaller hoses with some heater hoses with the same inner diameter which you should be able to find behind the counter of your local auto parts store.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^this

Same thing happened on my Foz

These radiators are junk.... big heaping piles of JUNK.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Awesome! Thanks for the response guys, I have a brand new aluminum radiator headed my way!
#5 Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hey guys so I installed the new radiator tonight and everything seemed to go perfectly. I filled it up and attempted to bleed the system, however; the car began overheating immediately. If i kept the car at idle it would warm up and stay around 225, and if I drove it around a bit or rev'd it up it would go as high as 245 when I decided to shut it off and take a break. Any opinions on what might be happening? Also with the heater turned on high heat it would just blow out cold air until I was actually revving the car up. Thanks for the help guys!
#6 Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
high radiator temp?

This link may give you some insight. I found it by searching "how to burp".

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"