Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   cold start help (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/cold-start-help-42506/)

thekamikaze kid 12-14-2013 12:36 PM

cold start help

been having to jump my car every day in this cold weather with a jump box just to start it. i do have a "subaru" battery, maybe thats it, but does anyone have any tips or anything that would solve my problem?

boo-key bear 12-14-2013 01:11 PM

Captain obvious says you need A new battery. If its not that then its your bov ...lol.

thekamikaze kid 12-14-2013 01:34 PM

FOL! i figured, the battery is relatively new. this would be the third time i have had to replace the battery on this car in a year and a half. is there any brand battery that would be the best? especially for the cold?

Haw1es 12-14-2013 02:00 PM

Yea, that BOV is really draining your battery FOL.
Could it be a bad alternator? If its the 3rd battery that may be something to look into. Or the batteries are horrible, there is always that. FOL

Jkas 12-14-2013 04:16 PM

I live in way upstate NY. Average temp around way to damn cold for humans. I went with a red top and have not had any issues with it yet. I'm sure there are cheaper batteries that can with stand the cold like the optimas.

boo-key bear 12-14-2013 04:40 PM

I didn't realize this was your 3rd battery in a year and a half. You left that out in your first post. If you have a volt meter set it to read dcv. After your car has been sitting a while and before you even start it put the red lead on your positive battery terminal. Put the black lead on the negative terminal. You should have at least 12v. If not your battery is not holding a charge. Now with the car running put the black lead on a good ground source and the red on the power stud on your alternator (has a wire on it covered by a red boot at the end). Your reading should stay around 14v. If not your alternator is not charging properly. Also check for corrosion on all the grounds and power points. On my truck the power stud on the alternator was loose so it was only making an intermitten connection. That's another thing you can check. You can also just take the battery and alternator off to have a parts store test them for free. I still say your car is mad at you for having a bov on it...lol.

thekamikaze kid 12-14-2013 04:49 PM

i just put new terminals on the positive end and that cleared up most of the problem over the summer. they were def rusted out. i think for the most part it is the cold around here, same thing happened to my last car over the winter. (had to replace the battery) i try to start it every day but the cold gets to it. doesnt the cobb ap have a battery tester on it? or am i mistaken? i have a v2. btw i did get the stock bpv on my car. had it on few months now.

thekamikaze kid 12-14-2013 05:06 PM

[quote=Jkas;412730]I live in way upstate NY. Average temp around way to damn cold for humans. I went with a red top and have not had any issues with it yet. I'm sure there are cheaper batteries that can with stand the cold like the optimas.[/quote]

do u have something like this?
[url=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_redtop-starting-battery-group-size-35-720-cca-optima-batteries_16940003-p?searchTerm=battery]Optima Batteries RedTop Starting Battery, Group Size 35, 720 CCA 35: Upgrade with the best Battery at Advance Auto Parts[/url]

thekamikaze kid 12-14-2013 06:19 PM

ok so there is a way to test battery voltage through the cobb ap. will try tomorrow. not sure about how to test the alternator with it though. (if you can)

turmic 12-14-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No!! Buy a volt meter or take it to a store to get checked.

psinuse 12-14-2013 06:49 PM

I run an Autozone Duralast. I got just over 6 years out of a 2 year battery, so I bought another one. Subaru's are know to kill batteries quickly. You should look into your charging system at your local auto parts store. They can check the voltage and pretty much tell you what is wrong with it.

Jkas 12-14-2013 09:33 PM

[quote=thekamikaze kid;412762]do u have something like this?
[url=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_redtop-starting-battery-group-size-35-720-cca-optima-batteries_16940003-p?searchTerm=battery]Optima Batteries RedTop Starting Battery, Group Size 35, 720 CCA 35: Upgrade with the best Battery at Advance Auto Parts[/url][/quote]

Yep, thats what I have. My old battery just wasn't ready to for the arctic weather up this way. Crushed it first time it got cold(-5). Didn't like me since. Did a little interweb looking and found optimas offer a good cold weather battery. I just love spending money.

But follow what the others are saying. Check your alt at your local auto parts store or grab a volt meter.

thekamikaze kid 12-14-2013 09:39 PM

thanks guys! will do! and yes the weather sucks here too! way too cold.

psinuse 12-14-2013 10:00 PM

Make sure you look for the CCA(cold cranking amps). that's the number you wanna make sure you get that's high for your type of weather.

Jkas 12-14-2013 11:00 PM

Where in NY are you? I've done a little bit a geographical mapping via weather. Anything place at or above Syracuse it's non-inhabitable by humans in the winter(-9-22 degrees average). South of that, it's still cold. 20-40 is the average. If your out in capital land, it's around the same as Syracuse.