clutch problem? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Exclamation clutch problem?

hey, i have an 02 wrx, no mods, 73,xxx miles and ive had an intermittent problem with my transmission, before you go jumping the gun telling me to search, ive looked around and cant find anything close to my problem. here it is- occasionally, no particular condition/speed, my transmission will refuse to go into ANY gear, I cant even force it into a gear as if my clutch is gone. i can move the shifter side to side, but not up or down into any gear. when this occurs, a few times ive been able to just shut the car off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on, and its like nothing ever happened. Could this be a clutchfork/master cylinder problem, or maby a fluid issue. or am i SOL? im a gm tech and ive used our generic program(alldata) at work to look up TSB's and nothing like this comes up. Please help.

Last edited by Kyole; 03-31-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: forgot some info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
did you try bleeding the system?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
No, not yet anyways...ill have to try it and see if it helps.
#4 Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
On the passenger side in the engine bay go to where the tranny and engine block meet up and remove the black rubber plug it is a pretty good size plug it will have a little rubber nipple deal on it so you can pull it out, try to look down in the hole to see if you can see alot of clutch material or what not. Another thing have you drained your tranny fluid to see what it looks like or changed it anytime recently?
#5 Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Another thing have you drained your tranny fluid to see what it looks like or changed it anytime recently?
+1 to changing your transmission fluid. Only put 3.7 quarts in and you'll be doing good unless there is a mechanical failure.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#6 Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
i was going to change the tranny fluid this weekend actually, any sugestions on type/weight of fluid?
#7 Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
75w90. I run Royal Purple with a quart of Lucas additive and I haven't had any problems. Shifts nice and smooth.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#8 Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Lucas is a great product, i always used straight RedLine Shockproof gear oil and it worked great i never had any problems with my tranny or shifting!!
#9 Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Lucas is a great product, i always used straight RedLine Shockproof gear oil and it worked great i never had any problems with my tranny or shifting!!
im probibly gonna go this route with the redline. same weight of 75w90 or do you use somthing different??