Chipped gear - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-27-2003, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattrexer is an unknown
Chipped gear

Hello! I have a problem and I was hoping that somebody could give me some insight.
I own a 2003 WRX, 5sp which I purchased new this past December (had it for about 3 or so months now). I just took my car in to a dealer yesterday to have them change the oil, check the car for anything, and to investigate a rattling-like noise coming from the engine when I was in reverse. The noise sounded similar to a piece of plastic rubbing against a spinning bike tire's spokes.
The dealer keeps it overnight and claims that the have to opent eh tranny to see what was loose in it. I get the call today telling me that it was a chipped gear that rough driving causes. Here's the thing, most of my driving is done to and from work on the highway. I don't race, drag, and have not done any sort of mods to the car...I guess that I'm just a normal, run-of-the-mill driver with a fast, cool car. They also inform me that this is NOT under warranty because I caused it AND this will void the remainder of the warranty on the tranny because I am a bad driver (or so they tell me at this dealership).
My question is, is there ANYTHING that anybody knows about the gears and chipping that I could use to argue my case? This is stupid if I have to pay $2000 to fix a tranny on a car that is less than 4 months old. Are they taking me for the proverbial ride here??

Thanks a lot for ANY help,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-27-2003, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Man that sucks!! You got to love those dealers and their ability to make you feel like an @$#!!
Good luck!
post #3 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
You have two leggs to stand on here. (1) They say chipped gear that is usually caused by abusive driving! They have to prove that you abused it.
They said the same thing to me when first gear went out in my trans, but they thought i was ignorant on trany's. My statement back was there is no syncro wear and the dogs are not worn, gears show no signs of abuse just broken. If they cannot find excessive wear or damage to the trans they must replace under warranty. (2) My words would be u show me a x-ray of the gear showing no structual flaws in it and i will pay for the trans. Bite back before they bend you over!
post #4 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subie Gal is an unknown
ummm.....

just curious.
how many of you have cracked open tranny cases yourselves?

i can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE....
it's pretty obvious when a tranny has been abused.

not sure of the dealership you've gone to....
but if you're grinding teeth off of your gears?
you're not doing something "right"

subaru is not under any kind of "contract" to warranty a gear missing teeth. it takes a lot :eek: of force to strip teeth....
and regardless of what you are saying here....
it simply does not "just happen" under smooth driving conditions.

something harsh happened to make the gears loose teeth.
i'm sorry. i'm an enthusiast and drive as hard as the next guy,
but i gotta side w/subaru on this one. !Notfunny!

Jamie
post #5 of 20 Old 04-01-2003, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattrexer is an unknown
You see...

...that's the thing. As far as I know, no grinding or wearing at all, only a chip. AND I KNOW that I am not abusing the car, especially in reverse. What I can say is, I may not have done something "right", as you say, seeing as this car is my first experience with a standard, BUT I have not heard gear grinding or anything else until I started hearing this rattle that I took it in for. I have spoke with a few mechanics in the past few days, all of whom say that chipping a gear takes a LOT of work and a LOT of abusive driving. They also say that, given that, they also expect it in first, second, etc., but not in reverse...what do these guys think, that I drove an entire rally in reverse?! I realize that these things "don't just happen" and that something must've caused the chip, but I find it very hard to believe that a weak, bad, or already-damaged gear was not 99% responsible for the ultimate chip.

Thanks for all of the abvice...Subaru of America is, as far as I know (they haven't called me back yet), working on it. I am getting the bad parts from the dealer, just in case court is a necessity.

Matt
post #6 of 20 Old 04-02-2003, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
good luck matt and stick to your guns!!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 02:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subie Gal is an unknown
so reverse is the chipped gear?

um... reversed is not synchronized.
do you know what that means?

that means you're likely grinding it into gear.
therein lies your issue.
i wish you luck.

and... thespraint ...why dont you get your own avatar?
immitation is the best form of flattery but outright copying is lame

Jamie
post #8 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattrexer is an unknown
Again...

...there is NO grinding. Wouldn't you think that I would hear this supposed grinding when I was shifting to/from reverse? I am not. This is certainly not something that is happening even CLOSE to all of the time...in fact, I can't recall EVER hearing grinding when shifting to/from reverse in the 3 months that I've had the car.

Still working on the man...
post #9 of 20 Old 04-04-2003, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

SinweaP is an unknown
my buddy bought a used 97 jetta and it was his first manual, well he couldnt drive it for s*%$ and the same thing happenned, ecxept he blew reverse right out of it. it was on a limited 30,000 mile warranty and they wouldnt fix it because of driver error. gear teeth dont just strip or chip. but good luck.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2003, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

rexwagonee is an unknown
if it were chipped on 1st or 2nd with no damage to the synchros i'd be pissed, but chipped on reverse is a really questionable problem. the only time i ever managed to screw up reverse is when i shifted my 76 pinto into it while doing 30 up a hill. the car still ran fine for another 6 months until i sold it.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-10-2003, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

AMANDA is an unknown
this just happened to me, i have an 02 wrx 5spd and i supposedly broke 2 teeth in 2nd and 1 in 1st and the dealership and soa are denying me my warranttee. i bought it from this dealership with 40k on it and it now has 50k. i put a catback exhaust, aem intake, and hks bov. they told me that all of these mods is what caused damage to my tranny. no stripped teeth, just broken off. they told me that if i bougth the short shifter from subaru it wouldnt of let this happen, bulshit huh. i have a 98 gst eclipse as my other car and trust me it has taken more abuse than my wrx will ever see and i have never busted teeth of my tranny. subaru built a good motor but used a shitty tranny that cant keep up with the awd. i am very pissed at subaru, shitty service, shitty warrantee, shitty tranny, should of bought the evo. i will sell my wrx when i get it back.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-10-2003, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Amanda, youch!

You are dealing Subaru a real zinger there...

I don't much disagree with the dealer always being a problem... dealers everywhere suck, no matter who the manufacturer in my opinion.

I really hope you're wrong about the tranny, ### a womp on my REX and so far no problems... knock on chrome... 32k miles so far... and i would venture to say i've got a good bit more juice to my REX than you do yours... I believe i'm tippin' the scales around 295HP... And the way i drive, there can't be much left of my clutch or tranny, but so far so good. Of course, i know for certain that i expect to get nothing from Subaru or dealership when something goes on my car... thats the double edge of performance mods... VOID the warrantee... for good reason. Who says Lancer is much better... matter of fact, i read a piece on the Lancer that had the clutch completely shot within 5 hours of driving (brand new car nonetheless)... granted, they were launching the car from 4k rpm to test its 0-60 sprint, but still, i know i've done that exact thing to my REX, only at 5k RPM multiple times... still no clutch probs... And guarantee my REX has more juice than the Lancer...

Lesson to be learned hear,,, The grass always looks greener from the other side.

Bummer that you had that trouble though... no offense, but just hoping your REX was faulty or something, and it was freak circumstance, and that won't happen to mine. maybe?
post #13 of 20 Old 04-11-2003, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

rexwagonee is an unknown
amanda,

you bought the car with 40k on it. you have no idea what kind of abuse this car was taking before. while i agree it is really shitty what soa is doing to you, no manufacturer or dealer likes to cover used car problems. i bought a saturn from the used lot at a saturn dealer and had some problems with the tranny slipping, it was an auto. they argued with me forever about fixing it. they never said anything about abuse. i finally just sold it. your problem is that you bought a performance car and they can come up with all kinds of reasons. on top of that your mods are warranty killers. BOVs are a no-no if you want them to cover shit.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-11-2003, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

AMANDA is an unknown
BUT TELL ME SOMETHING, WOULD A BOV CAUSE THE TRANNY TO MALFUNCTION? BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE DEALER IS TELLING ME. ANOTHER THING IF THE CAR WASNT MODIFIED THEY STIL WOULDNT OF COVERED BECAUSE THEY SAID IT SHOWED SIGNS OF ABUSE.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-12-2003, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sure Sure

It seems quite unlikely that BOV had anything to do w/your tranny issues... To the best of my knowledge, using a modified BOV does nothing to increase horse power or torque, just changes where to and how easily your turbo releases unused boosted intake air...

So that is on the dealer, not Subaru... and probably more of what they're should be getting at with you is this...

The vehicle is modified, which clearly VOIDs the warranty, and I don't believe Subaru has every indicated that modifications didn't void the warrantee... Especially doing mods that add additional horsepower, like opening up the exhaust system...

But bottom line is this... All the reading up i've done about these "supposed crappy REX trannys" leads me to this belief: Your tranny is as good as you treat it... Because i'm a good bit shy of being extreme cautious w/my tranny, and it has held up just fine. I have not even serviced it once since ownership... Sounds to me like most of these people with real tranny issues have at the root of their problem one thing, themselves... How do you drive you stick? And this question can't really apply too much to you, because there was a complete stranger driving your car for the first 40K miles... so you may actually be a very good/cautious stick-shift driver, and the damage my have already been done... or possibly, you're not much of a stick-shift driver, and now you got tranny issues as result...

The one that gets me the worst is the kid who explains his tranny issues, and how he's sure it was defective gear teeth, and then goes to comment, "oh yeah, did i mention this was my first experience with manual transmission"... If that wasn't a dead ringer for me...

Bottom line here... tranny teeth don't just chip and break that easily,, but hey, you're driving an all-wheel drive vehicle here, so mistakes are exacerbated and the tranny is less forgiving... My tranny has held up well even despite the 1st gear launches starting from 5K rpm, over and over and over again... (i have since stopped doing that because now my car has far over the stock 227 horsepower, and she's getting older, 32k miles... And all this tranny talk has me nervous... i got lucky for 32k miles, not going to continue to push my luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement