Car ticking, throwing p0340 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to ImNASTI
Car ticking, throwing p0340

My car started ticking suddenly today, and when driving it, it threw a p0340 code, crank position sensor. The ticking is getting worse and worse....allright, i may have opend it up on a strait away last night to very high speeds. I just went to take it to the store and upon starting it up i decided not to drive it because it sounds so horrible. I did just install a vf39 and supporting mods a few weeks ago and tuned with COBBs map.

And suggestions/ insight on what this might be? Im supposed to take this thing on a 500 mile drive pretty soon, but not like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-23-2008, 09:43 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Replace the crank sensor, and inspect the wiring for any frays or if it is rubbing on anything. I'm not sure why that would cause it to tick though.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #3 of 19 Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
messed up a rod bearing, its at the dealership right now most likely going to get a new shortblock
post #4 of 19 Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Dude, you are having some bad luck, first tranny, now engine? If your getting a new motor you might as well go all forged on the bottom end. What is the dealer charging you?

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
post #5 of 19 Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
He even thought it fried his ecu. All of this does suck. Are you upgrading to a 2.5? Best of luck man. You need it.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
I was going to go the 2.5 route, but then i realized that i would have to change my ecu and get a new AP and blah blah blah, so i;m just putting a stock short block back in. I feel like the douche that owned this car before me just never took care of it, she was like a horse with a broken leg that i was going to shoot, but decided to reabilitate. if it should go. the only other thing that could really go wrong now is...........well hell.....the suspension? i dunno. The dealership in maine (where i broke down) only charges $89 an hour to work on stuff, i thought that is pretty good considering ive seen dealerships charge like 100-110 an hour. Not only that but i have a friend that works there and hes doing all the work so.......what are you gonna do? At least i have to money to fix it, it would suck if I had to wait a few months to get the funds...

whats the break in period for a new shortblock? 500-1000? I live in DC so i'm going to have to drive it back down here, but i;m gonna let my dad drive it for the break in period.

Heh, he had never driven a turbo car, never mind a WRX untill this weekend when i showed up......i think i might have convinced him to buy one
post #7 of 19 Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Pretty standard break in period for any new car is 1K miles. There was a good link to a different break in process someone posted awhile back. Completely different from what dealers tell you. It was a combination of full throttle and half throttle and idle speed for a shorter period of time. The shops reasoning was in order to properly seat the rings you needed more heat and friction than the standard "less then 3Krpms and no more then 65mph" or whatever dealers recommend.

If someone has that link? It was a subaru guru too IIRC. I think its in my favs at home. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's what Cobb says, but this isn't the link I was talking about. This seems to be the standard.
CobbTuning.com - How To Break-in Your Newly Built Engine v1.03

White Collar Hippie
post #8 of 19 Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Man I am so sorry and kind of sad to hear the troubles you are having ImNASTI. What stagger posted was the same link I was going to post. I actually used that about half way through my break in. I really hope you get the car runnin tip top soon. Good luck man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 19 Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
so i just heard from the guy working on my car. Everything that the oil touches has to be replaced.

so turbo and engine......great
post #10 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
:eek: It just keeps getting better. Man, just about the only good side to this is that the car will be almost completly new drive train wise after this. Btw, what tranny did you replace it with? stock for stock? or did you upgrade?
post #11 of 19 Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
Sti RA spec gears, you know it
post #12 of 19 Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Here's a link to the "hard break in" method. Worth a read.
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

White Collar Hippie
post #13 of 19 Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
i dunno, that seems pretty scary, but feasable......i do have a 1 yr unlimeted mileage warr. on the engine though. .......maybe its worth a try
post #14 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

I would definitely do it. This guy doesn't seem like he's blowin smoke. I have been linked to this several times in other forums and heard good results (or at least no negative effects/feedback) from several people. Of course only do what you feel comfortable with, but just throwing it out there. Some good info about engine internals regardless.

White Collar Hippie
post #15 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxecm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrxecm
damn this sucks i just hope my car doesnt brake down on me soon. im already at 80k miles. how much does a new engine and tranny go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement