Car Stall - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Car Stall

So I have not even put any time into figuring this out as a preface to this problem, but I wanted to perhaps get some dialogue going so I save some time. This morning on the way to work, I had this little car next to me that thought he was a hot rod, so I let my adolescence prevail and at the next traffic light hammered my car, I typically turn traction control off, but I didn't this time, nor did I kick my exhaust cutout over, was just horsing around. So I didn't even launch I just waited for him to gun it and hammered the gas, the car started chirping all 4's and the traction control was going all the way to 7k. When I shifted the car stalled, like for a good 1-2 seconds, it didn't sputter just kinda no gas. It eventually kicked back in and was fine. So, keep in mind this is just picking your brains, has anyone else seen this behavior? Is it normal? I can't say I have ever shifted under hard acceleration with the traction control working. My fear is that my bpv isn't closing quick enough, and I don't have the will power to work on my car in 25 deg weather, but it hasn't done this on this tune or turbo since I have had it setup, about 4 months.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2011, 05:13 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sounds like you hit the rev limiter to me.

Cullen
#3 Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
This was a complete stall, like 1-2 seconds like I said. The rev limiter is tuned to turn back on fuel at 18psi and no load. I have hit the rev limiter before tuning it and it's a super quick rev up and down, not a stall. Just wondering if the traction control would completely disable the gas on a shift?
#4 Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I would ask your tuner and the extreme cold could've freaked something out. You were tuned in the summer and now its really cold.

Cullen: Was your profile hacked or is your location in hebrew? Very weird...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 11-12-2011, 04:49 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^ I really live in Troy, NH and added some of the variations that "Troy" has had over the centuries as I found them interesting (now that I can call myself a trojan !)

back to the OP. Sorry, I doubted that the stall was that lengthy. I've never owned a rex with TC, or seen one in the shop with issues with the system (yet) I would see if it is a repeatable problem. A loose crank (or cam) sensor could cause something like that if jarred on a launch, I suppose. Are you able to log data ?

Cullen
#6 Old 11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yeah I can log, in fact I ran a sanity check log run last night, as I got it back from the dealership last week and they left a couple clamps loose, and decided that my air pump didn't need to be hooked back up at all, anyway, everything looked fine, though I didn't do any high rev shifts and log. I did run it to the redline twice and it didn't stall or cough at all in 3rd gear. I can't help but think the traction control had something to do with it, it was skipping pretty hard.
#7 Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
Yeah I can log, in fact I ran a sanity check log run last night, as I got it back from the dealership last week and they left a couple clamps loose, and decided that my air pump didn't need to be hooked back up at all, anyway, everything looked fine, though I didn't do any high rev shifts and log. I did run it to the redline twice and it didn't stall or cough at all in 3rd gear. I can't help but think the traction control had something to do with it, it was skipping pretty hard.
How bad where you spinning?? if high enough rpm because of spinning and you not actually going fast enough to be in that gear its possible.. I dont know exactly how to word it. But happened to me in my old car while messing around and drifting and burning up some old tires after it rolled out of spinning i was in such a high gear and physically moving to slow my car died... Sounds stupid but just trying to help out with some ideas
#8 Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thought I would update this in case anyone ever had this issue.
It's pretty self explanatory really, I just didn't notice it the first time, and I don't drive my car hard enough most the time to engage traction control.
So last night my buddy came from Steamboat to hang out, and he's got a lil 2.0t Jetta, we were horsing around and when I gassed it it broke traction and when I shifted, it was dark so I happened to notice the traction light just stayed on from shift until I let off the gas, at which point it gave me throttle control again. So, the car shuts down the gas if you shift while traction control is working. I mean it almost came to a standstill, probably at least 3 seconds of no gas, I kept my foot on the gas to see how long it would disable throttle, only when I let off does it come back.
#9 Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Glad you figured it out

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae