Car probs in high RPM's. Please Help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-30-2004, 01:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
Question Car probs in high RPM's. Please Help

Alright, so I took car to subaru to have CEL serviced, nothing bad. took wrx home, few days later, my car doesn't want to go above 5500 RPM's, it "chokes'' out. It doesn't want to go above it. It'll just sputter loudly. I talked to another suby guy here in town, he said it is my knock sensor....is he right? if so, how do i fix it? if not, what is it? he said it happened to him right before his cat's went and destroyed his turbo from the up pipe. Soooooooo please help. even if i do have to replace the up pipe , which i plan to, would that cause it? IM me at hartk20vtec or reply in here. thanks all for you help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2004, 06:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Take it back to Subaru, its under warranty and they should fix it for free. As for the diagnostic, I have no idea what it could be.
#3 Old 07-30-2004, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
lemme guess....you ran a MBC on it at one time?

more then likely, you have an issue with the uppipe cat coming apart, and it is trashing the turbo....

or there is an EGT sensor issue.

Knock sensor is highly unlikely....it would have different symptoms.
#4 Old 07-30-2004, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
no. no mbc. car is stock. no exhaust, and the only thing i did to it was to install an HKS BOV, but this was happening before the install.. do you think it could be the cat in the up pipe? anyway to check? in a way i hope it is, cause then it'll be an excuse to buy a new turbo. but then again, it would be good if it didn't happen. btw, maybe a stupid question, is it possible to drive the car once the turbo has been f*d up by the cat?
#5 Old 07-30-2004, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
a/c

in extreme heat with the A/C on, my car sputters somewhere between 5000-6000 and it is a bone stock 04 with 5000 miles.

if you haven't already, try running the car with no a/c for like 15 minutes, then see what it does... I know I was freaked out and took it back to the dealer when I first noticed it, but it was 95 degrees outside and I was running cold a/c. They did not know what the problem was, but I figured it out on my own...

It feels like the turbo is under water, it is a scary feeling.
#6 Old 07-30-2004, 03:18 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I drove my car w/ a dead turbo for about 50 miles and it was fine. You just don't want metal shavings or any parts of the cat getting into the engine. But I don't see why you would want to drive it w/o a turbo, because its like driving a stock civic hybrid lol.
#7 Old 07-30-2004, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
if its stock, bring it back in and have it fixed....those of you with warranties still should use them

i have never seen a stock car blow out the uppipe cat....but i have seen two personally that someone used a MBC and it went out fast. and the boost wasnt raised more then 2psi then stock.

keep us informed.....
#8 Old 07-31-2004, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
well. still same problem. haven't gotten to subaru yet. my luck they'll void warrenty cause of the HKS BOV. But yeah, on the way home, went to 3rd on the highway, F*er didn't wanna go above 5k. went into 4th, same. couldn't get it to in 5th, i wasn't going fast enough. soooo. i guess monday i'll take it to suby, pay or whatever for a diagnostic, then B*tch and moan to make the fix whatever is wrong. do you guys think a vacuum leak could case this?
#9 Old 07-31-2004, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I would pay for anything. They can't void your warranty for having a aftermarket BOV. If you still have the stock recir. valve, throw it back on and take it in.
#10 Old 07-31-2004, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
do you think a small boost leak could cause it? Or do you think the cat has or is going into the turbo? I think that's what it might be...we'll find out monday I HOPE....or whenever suby can see my car.
#11 Old 07-31-2004, 03:33 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I don't see a boost leak causing the car to cut off at 5500 RPMs. What boost are you building around 4000 RPMs at WOT? Do you hear a loud whine or noise that could be a leak?
#12 Old 07-31-2004, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
at 4k boost is around 13 psi, then tappers off at 5k-55k...
#13 Old 07-31-2004, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_WRX
at 4k boost is around 13 psi, then tappers off at 5k-55k...
WHOAH! You got a Horizontally Opposed Turbine Engine in your WRX??

Honestly, take your car in and have them check it out. Make sure you take the tech for a drive to reproduce the problem.

Sputtering..... could be so many things.... but my first thought was that it's loading up on fuel some how. Dunno though, not enough info to give a really good guess.

Blue
#14 Old 07-31-2004, 05:28 PM

Then you don't have a boost leak if you're hitting 13 psi. And if you hit that, your turbo can't be shot. I would guess faulty EGT in the uppipe. But take off your HKS SSQV and see what happens. If its the same, let the dealer handle it.
#15 Old 07-31-2004, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
so def. take off the BOV before I go to suby? I will. Just making sure