Car lost power while doing 80kms (50mph) and wouldnt start - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

mello is an unknown
Car lost power while doing 80kms (50mph) and wouldnt start

G'day,

The saga of problems with my car continues since the new clutch went in.

Last night i was just cruising upto the speed limit when suddenly my car lost power (engine was running but no acceleration when i put my foot on the gas.) As i down shifted the revs would go up but no power, rolled onto the side of the road and the engine eventually cut out. Car wouldnt start after that, would turn over, i could hear the fuel pump fire up but nothing else.

Since i got my new clutch, ive had the gear stick pop out twice (since been fixed) and there has been thumping sound when i put my foot on the gas (front of the car, drivetrain area) when im cruising in to high a gear. Mechanic reckons they cant work out what it is.

Any ideas.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
It's not related to the clutch if the engine is dying. An engine needs 3 things to run.

Air

Fuel

Spark

Unless your fuel filter or air filter are extremely clogged, neither is highly likely to cause the symptom you described, and I'd direct you to something related to spark. It's not likely the spark plugs, as they wouldn't just die quite like that (at least not all 4), but it does sound like an ECU, Distributor, or Coil. Any one of these 3 can cause the car not to spark properly to the point that it would die like that.

Thumping sound: I would assume this is a transmission or engine mount. Even a U joint can make sounds, but I wouldn't really describe it as a "thump" (maybe a grinding thump?). I hope that at least helps.
#3 Old 02-21-2010, 02:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

mello is an unknown
cheers hondafan,

yeah isnt fuel or air, so 2moro morning ill hopefully have some asnswer.

Nah its a thump, when i get on the gas at a low speed it happens, it didnt do it when i braked hard when i first noticed but after my mechanic tried to sort it out and find out the cause (which they couldnt do) it makes the thump if i brake hard.

As soon as its all fixed, im selling it and buyin a pick up, than i wont be tempted to modify it
#4 Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Could the thump be caused by the stock rubber rear differential mount bushings? I hear there are a few companies out there (Kartboy, Whiteline, TiC - to name a few) who make aftermarket polyurethane bushings that get rid of that nasty rear end thump. Just ordered a set of my own from Kartboy

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

mello is an unknown
Engine wasn't getting any fuel, briefly spoke to the mechanic and a seal went, not sure where exactly but will find out in a couple of days when i get the car back.

Hey manshow, nah is at the front of the car. Sound only started when they put the new clutch in. And trying to sort it out they have made it worse. So hopefully when i get it back they sort that out as well.
#6 Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tboss06wrx is an unknown
im having the same problem but mine is after i get on the gas for a little while then i will have no power i down shift the rpms go up but i try the gas and it does nothing i thought maybe it was because i have a few mods and needed to be tuned but then i bought the accessport and tuned it then after i smoked a mustang gt it happened again and i was on the side of the road for a good 10 mins waiting for it to start any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
#7 Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

mello is an unknown
found out the fuel filter did a seal, and another pipe in the take had swollen up. Mechanics only thought was maybe a fuel additive caused it.

All good now after $640 bucks later. Car is goin alot better too, so there is sum happiness in partin with that cash.

Now to just to get the thump sorted out.
#8 Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Niki is an unknown
My problem sounds related. Drove car for a while, acceleration started to become sputtery and jerky (random bucking), went through a toll plaza, attempted to increase speed out of tolls and the accelleration would cut in and out, like a light switch being turned on and off.....worked my way in the left lane up to a bridge (slightly inclined), and accellerator went unresposive, no luck in regaining control of engine power to pull the car...it came to a stop in the middle of the left lane on a bridge in Jersey and shut off.

plugs were replaced the day prior. There were some misfires...coil packs were switched by accident for some reason, so they were switched back and car seemed to run fine. 1 coil pack is weak.

Oddly, the car would start up while being takin on and off the flat bed trailor. My mechanic has driven it short distances all day, with the problem never reoccuring.

I'm concerned it will happen again, and it obviously happened for a reason before. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated EMMENSLY. Thank you WRX community.

-Niki-
#9 Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Niki is an unknown
UPDATE: The FUEL PUMP took a crap. Only had 20psi when pressure tested. Replaced with Walboro. Car runs great again now

Hope this helps for any future searchers with this problem.
#10 Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

davidpalmera is an unknown
I feel ya bro

I just bought a used 2004 Subaru WRX and it has only gone threw 2,000 miles and it is already broken down. First the clutch went as soon as i bought it and then last week the engine started as just a crackling sound and then eventually it stalled out completely and shut off while i was drive...left me with no power steering and turning off road was a bitch
The sad part is that even through all of this bullsh*t i cant make myself get rid of the car...it is my baby, so im getting the engine rebuilt. If it breaks after that i have no idea what i will do though...lets just hope for the best