Car feels sluggish, and have the feeling of no power - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cujoman10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Car feels sluggish, and have the feeling of no power

Ok I'm going to try and make this short and sweet. I have a 2013 Wrx hatch. My mods are a Cobb SF intake, Cobb downpipe, and a Spt catback system with a protune. A couple of weeks ago I have engine hesitation along with power loss. 2 weeks ago my car started to stall out. I would die just randomly driving. So i cleaned th MAF sensor, blew out the air filter, and did some wipe down on the throttle body. After I did all that the car ran perfectly. I had all my power back, and it felt amazing. Now Its winter here in Wisconsin, and a few days ago my car feels like crap. Could it be from the cold weather? I'm not really sure of that, but I'm not sure whats going on. Could my MAF be bad? Fuel pump? Current symptons are I have to give it more gas than usual and car feels sluggish. Was on the freeway coming home from work and was in 5th gear accelerating, and felt like I was going no where. I don't think my clutch is slipping. So I dropped it into 4th with WOT, and I can hear the turbo spool up, but again felt like the car fell flat on its face. At this point Im getting very frustrated. How can the car feel amazing a week ago, and now feels like all the symtoms from my previous situation come back? Does my car not like the cold? Do I have a bad sensor somewhere? I dont know at this point. Im pulling my hair out trying to think of why its like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
If you cleaned the throttle body, first thought that popped to mind is the hose between intercooler and throttle body has slipped off and you have a boost leak there. If that's what it is, it's a very common thing on our gen.

Check that, also you will notice that the spooling whooshing gets louder when this happens and you can develop all sorts of squealing or winning noises during spool.

I actually had this happen so many times after going above 17psi that I removed the softer silicone sleeves on the end of the hose and use a 1/4" ratchet with an extension to tighten rather than screw driver.

Anyway. If the hose is fine it could be a few other things. How are your gauges looking on AP? Do you know how to log?
post #3 of 15 Old 12-17-2016, 06:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
acceleration with no forward movement = bad clutch. meaning if you are in gear and you give it gas and the rpm's climb but you are not gaining any forward momentum, then your clutch is slipping.

turbocharged cars LOVE cold weather. maybe not cold starts, but cold ambient air is your best friend.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-20-2016, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mileage?
post #5 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I'm with Ruso, sounds like a boost leak. You probably unknowingly fixed it when you cleaned the throttle body the first time and the hose has just slipped off again. The "4th gear WOT and going nowhere" is exactly what my car felt like when I had a leak.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been trying to login to my account, but it kept saying no account exits. Ugh anyways. Thank you all for your responses. I'm hitting peak boost so I don't believe I have a boost leak. After I wrote the original message I put some sea foam in and the car felt a lot better so I thought ok I got some bad gas. Fat forward a couple more weeks the car has been "ok", and I decided to buy a new maf sensor just to see if that would do anything. Omg it got worse. On my ap I can see that I'm running rich, and just to get off the line from a stop I have to almost give it half throttle just to get it going. But once I get going it decent. Defenitly feel like I have to rev it out just to start from a dead stop. I'm going to take everything off again to have a look when I get home. I'm starting to think I may have to start with a o2 sensor.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

And my peak boost is 18 and tappers down to 16/16.5
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2017, 05:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
You can hit peak boost with a boost leak (even a severe one such as the intercooler to throttlebody connection coming loose)... which is actually a very bad thing because your turbo has to work significantly harder to get there and blow a ton of extra air.

A lot of times, it's also very hard to tell that it's happening, but uneven boost (you can feel the power fluctuate), louder swooshing sounds (when you can hear the turbo spool but it's louder)... or in more severe cases even squeaking sound (like when you squeeze the neck of a balloon and let air out slowly.... yes this has happened to me).
post #9 of 15 Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
$10 bucks says it's the silicone elbow between intercooler outlet and throttle body. Those bloody soft silicone end skirts on the elbow are bullshit.

Pull off the intercooler, pull off the elbow from the throttlebody (noting its orientation).... take some solvent and clean the elbow, especially underneath the soft skirts (there's a folded piece of silicone at each end) and all around the ends in general.... or better yet, since this eventually stopped working for me around your boost levels, I actually simply ripped off the soft skirts on the ends and replaced the hose clamps for wider ones.... no boost leaks since.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ok! I'll try that! I didn't know you can still have a leak if you're hitting target boost. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 15 Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ok so I finally got around to checking the elbow to the throttle body, and it was kinda loose. Pulled everything off, then I saw a tub running from my turbo so I decided to see if that was tightened down to. And honestly that felt kinda loose for my taste also. So tightened that down, and went to go clean the elbow Bc there was blow by in it. And I noticed like a small piece of the lip had torn off. It definitely wasn't like that before. So it could of ripped off then seal wasn't tight. I'll be buying any other one to put on the car. But I cleaned it and put it all back, and tightened everything down, and I think it's safe to say that was my issue! So thanks ruso for pointing me in that direction. I drove it around afterwords and the car has power again!

post #12 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujoman10 View Post
Ok so I finally got around to checking the elbow to the throttle body, and it was kinda loose. Pulled everything off, then I saw a tub running from my turbo so I decided to see if that was tightened down to. And honestly that felt kinda loose for my taste also. So tightened that down, and went to go clean the elbow Bc there was blow by in it. And I noticed like a small piece of the lip had torn off. It definitely wasn't like that before. So it could of ripped off then seal wasn't tight. I'll be buying any other one to put on the car. But I cleaned it and put it all back, and tightened everything down, and I think it's safe to say that was my issue! So thanks ruso for pointing me in that direction. I drove it around afterwords and the car has power again!

The elbow from intercooler to throttle body has a harder hose with two softer silicone "skirts" on the ends.

I had to rip off the skirts on mine with higher than stock boost levels. It fixed the hose ever coming off again (which used to happen on a regular basis, especially while tuning and doing hard pulls).

If you plan to go Stage 2 or higher, I would *highly* recommend doing the same (or getting an aftermarket part to replace it). That soft silicone, simply does not want to stay on the connections no matter how loose/tight you make it.

If you do decide to keep the skirts, clean off the intercooler outlet and throttle body with rubbing alcohol so there is absolutely nothing there, and also upgrade your hose clamps to wider ones.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I already had an aftermarket one on. I'll have to buy another one Bc a piece on the end was torn off

Ruso likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujoman10 View Post
I already had an aftermarket one on. I'll have to buy another one Bc a piece on the end was torn off

Cool man! Glad your car is back to normal!
post #15 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks again!