Subaru WRX Forum banner

Can To Much Boost Hurt Motor With Stock Turbo?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  9d2TSi 
#1 ·
Hey sup got myself a Rex here with a APS turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, APS b.o.v., APS water intercooler sprayer kit, a 2002 APS Unichip yea i know its old, and a stock turbo. I was told that by disconnecting the vacuum hose from my wastegate and replacing the t-fitting with a straight one and keep the restrictor pill connected to the turbo inlet side that my boost would raise and hold. I said well hey great sounds like il give it a try so i did and took it out for a spin. I let it warm up and then got on it. To my surprize on my stock Lamco Mpa boost gauge i went from around .-5 Mpa all the way past .15 Mpa and just barely touching the other side of .-1 Mpa. I almost Sh*t my pants. I quickly pulled over cause i knew that is just way to much so i adjusted the wastegate arm and loosened it alot and now it spikes and hold just a tad over .15 Mpa and pulls InSaNeLy! Is this still to high for stock turbo? If it is will it hurt my motor or just the turbo because i could careless if it will only fry the turbo because then il have a reason to replace it with a SR40 turbo. So please give me some info on this i would really appreciate some opinions. Also if i get on it to hard which i don't anymore it sounds like a gasket is rattling I hope its not the turbo saying help me i cant get out of these bolt cuffs. NO OFFICER I HAVEN'T BEEN BOOSTING TO MUCH.:nono:

#2 ·
Well as much as I want to say that is totally cool, I doubt it.
You are pushing exactly 22psi of boost, that is insane. I don't know the exact specs, but I would say it is a matter time before the engine and turbo will break.

Also without the right fuel management you will have not enough fuel and therefore might blow up your engine because the engine will be running too lean. You could a gauge on to see where you are in the ball park.
And the idea of putting on a SR40 on a stock motor is cool but keep in mind your limits on your money and your stock block. To do a turbo like that you will need, injectors/fuel pump/intercooler/fuel management (most likely a professional tune) and other stuff, which is expensive. Also the block can only take about 400 hp and the tranny even less then that.

And I just had to replace my stock clutch my car is up to 285 ponies.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Even with your Unichip, you're stock fuel system isn't going to be able to keep up at that boost level. You need to put it back the way it was. To answer your questions though, yes it's too high for the stock turbo, and yes you can destroy your engine like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.