A/C Not working - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxsnowman is an unknown
A/C Not working

So a few months ago my A/C clutch would start having a very rough engagement. Mind you, this was when it was still cold outside it would still engage when the heater was on. The engagement was really harsh, and you could hear the clunking when it would engage. Now, that it is starting to warm up, it doesn't make that noise, nor does it even come on. Also, during this time, I would hear a hissing coming from the firewall, near the dash, kinda like the freon would be leaking out. But it did that before when it came on and still cooled just fine. However, now the A/C doesn't even turn on. I'm thinking maybe a switch went bad, and maybe I just need to replace the A/C compressor clutch. any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Sounds like the clutch on the compressor has kicked the bed, although I am no A/C expert you'd be best off by getting a professional to look at it

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+1

Also chk a simple relay

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#4 Old 04-04-2011, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Well there are two ways you can go about this.

1- take it to a shop and have them fix it.

2- you will have to find the leak by buying a kit that will come with dye and you look for the leak. What might of happened is you had a leak the system was running low and you starved your A/C compressor from oil. When your A/C pressure gets low the low pressure sensor will trigger and it will shut your A/C off to help protect your system.

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#5 Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Typically the o-rings on the compressor connections are the first to leak, and I would guess that's what happened. You leaked out the charge, and without one the compressor doesn't engage.

DIY, it's not that complex. You will be able to tell if the compressor and clutch are alright by just putting a charge in, whether it's R134 or leak finder. Be careful not to get carried away with the off the shelf stuff with oil already in it. Too much oil in the system will inhibit cooling.

Get the correct o-rings from Subaru, as many o-ring assortments don't hold up to AC applications (and may not fit quite right)
#6 Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxsnowman is an unknown
So, if I just just do a basic charge, or whatever to find the leak...then fix it and then have it professionally charged? I do all my own work on my car, other than A/C which I don't have much exp with.
#7 Old 04-06-2011, 02:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxsnowman is an unknown
So I did the charge with dye, so I'm running it for a few days to see if I can find a leak. However, my compressor clutch is still engaging hard, and kinda makes like a metal to metal sound almost. I don't know, but I checked to see if I could get a clutch from the dealer. It looks like I have to buy the whole unit just to fix the clutch if it is infact worn out. It is cooling very well, and is working normal, but I haven't found any leak thus far. Just a loud clutch...any thoughts?
#8 Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Is there any dust material on the back side of the clutch??

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#9 Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
The clutches definitely fail. At almost 180K miles, I'm on my third, but being the cheap bastard that I am, I just pick up used compressors on e-bay or where ever for $25-$35. Usually I get 60-80K miles out of them. It didn't used to be possible to purchase the clutch only, but that may have changed. A small oil charge in the system can sometimes get a little more life out of them, but note my earlier post.
#10 Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Andersonreid is on thin ice
Question

Not to # thread jack but has anyone done an A/C delete on on 02? i'm thinking about tearing mine out solely because i never, ever use it. Just wondering on how big of a job it is.
#11 Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I just did one, it's not too bad just takes a while to remove everything

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#12 Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM

If you are just deleting it for the power drain, a pair of tin snips to remove the belt is all you need.

If you want to loose the weight, four long 14mm bolts hold the compressor to the bracket, and one 14 holds the small bracket to the engine. They bottom right one is a PITA.....
2 12mm hold the tensioner bracket. You'll have to remove the radiator and grill in order to remove the condensor.

short answer: not too hard