Subaru WRX Forum banner

Broken timing belt.

10K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  teqtonik 
#1 ·
I bought my 04 grocery getter in May with 123k. It's now got 132k. I was driving on the interstate today at about 75 when I noticed I wasn't getting normal acceleration. Then my check engine light came on. The motor seemed to barely be running but I made it to the next exit to pull over. The engine shut off when it idled all the way down. A guy came and gave me a jump and said it was likely my timing belt because when I tried to start it, the pulleys and belts didn't move. My mechanic won't look at it until Tuesday. Any ideas?

#2 ·
A timing belt failure wouldn't cause your accessory drive to quit working. Just wondering, did the little red battery light come on? If it did what your describing is that your alternator belt snapped not timing. Also if it was your timing belt you could tell just by pulling off the drivers side timing cover, it's that black piece of plastic on the front of the motor, held on by just a couple of bolts. After that have someone crank the car while you watch to see if the cam gears are turning. Also if your belt did fail you better start shopping for motors because these are interference motors which means your pistons will have come in contact with the valves and your motor is essentially toast.

#4 ·
I was actually curious if it wasn't the alternator belt or the alternator itself, because when I did make it to the side of the road and tried to crank it, the battery seemed dead. I thought that was odd since I had just purchased the battery within the last month. I really don't remember what all lights came on other than it was a big cluster of them on the left side. I checked under the car and didn't see any oil dripping. As for checking the timing belt itself, it's behind lock and key for now so I still won't be able to find out anything until Tuesday at the earliest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.