Brakes & pressure - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-03-2003, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Brakes & pressure

Well, taught a friend to drive stick with the WRX wagon. Afterwards, treated him to some quick launches and "slaloming" around the parking lot, which made me wonder if I could do donuts. So I tried it. The WRX almost did real donuts there. After a tiny bit of doing that, I stopped and turned out across the lot, then hit the brake pedal. The pedal went to the floor without slowing the car at all. I cut the wheel and coasted to a stop, then hit the brake again and got some pressure, so pumped it and got full pressure back.

What happened? Why'd it lose pressure from just donuts? I need to figure it out in case my brother does an autocross like the last one I did...lots and lots of tight turns and if his car is gonna lose pressure when braking, that's not good...

RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2003, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Must be the brakes heated up or something.

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
But would they heat up like that without being used?

RN
post #4 of 4 Old 09-01-2003, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

TKOPerf is an unknown
That doesn't sound like brake fade to me. I can't see how the brakes could fade without being used. I would check the level in the master cylinder. If it was low the high Gs from the doughnuts may have uncovered the ports inside the master cylinder allowing it to ingest some air. Then you had to pump the system back up just like a car with air in the lines. Is the pedal spoungey now? If it is you will need to bleed all the air out of the system. Make sure to keep the master at the upper limit of the level indicator to prevent this happening again.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?