brake squeeking - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

scythenkai is an unknown
brake squeeking

I just replaced all the rotors with oem brembo replacements and all the pads with axxis pads about a month ago. Everything was good for a little while then i started hearing some slight squeaking from the back brakes i believe which i originally thought was from the front. Anyways i left and went to florida over xmas for 9 days left my car at the airport sitting for those 9 days. Now i came back to some very rusty rotors since it is in mid winter here but here is the problem once i drive about 10 miles i get really bad squeeky noise coming from the rear brakes when in gear driving the car down the highway or at speeds over 25mph. It isnt constant it changes it either comes or goes with bumps in the road or when i turn the wheel. But totally dissipates when i put any slight amount of pressure on the brakes. I think the pads are sticking or something and i remember when installing them they did not fit in very easily. Infact it was very hard to get them seated, i actually thought i had them in then went driving only to hear alot of grinding them finding out the one on the rear passenger side was in crooked. Any ideas? or any one else run into this how did you fix it. The sound is absolutely annoying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Get a little white lithium grease and lube the two tabs on the pads where it contacts the brackets. That should help out.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

scythenkai is an unknown
Fixed, I took the pads off and shaved about a millimeter off the tabs and greased them up and put them back on. No more squeak. So a little note on anyone who buys axxis pads for the rear breaks on an 02 wrx they don't fit very good and need to be filed a little to properly fit. Ill put the part numbers up tomorrow when im at work for anyone else who needs the information
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
You know what, I just figured out why you had a problem. The 02/03 brakes were kinda funny. The pads you were given may have been for the 03 which has a slightly larger rear pad. If you look up the rear pad sizes for each of the years, you'll see what I'm talking about.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
In 03 about midway through the production they changed the the pad size on the calipers. both front and rear. i ran into this problem when i purchased a set of pads and rotors from R1 Concepts.